Thursday, December 9, 2010

Currently Reading Unseen Academicals.

I'm about 100-150 pages into it. Just wanted to say something about it so far.


Is it me, or is Glenda a little like Granny Weatherwax, only Pratchett is going in a different direction with her.

In the early witch novels, particularly Lords and Ladies, Granny knew everything. She wasn't the least bit "nice" about it, particularly to "wet hen" Magrat. Granny even conspired to get Magrat married to the King of Lancre. And in the end, she was able to get Magrat to do what she needed to do.

In Unseen Academicals, Glenda's friend Juliet isn't naive. She's just kind of an innocent child. Not really bright at all. Glenda is really protective of her, especially from her grabby friend Trev. Glenda keeps telling Juliet to keep her mind on their job, which is kitchen work. Glenda is utterly convinced that she's right up to a night where she gets a little tipsy and watches Juliet successfully model clothes. Suddenly she's wondering if she's just been holding Juliet back.

I guess I'll figure out where this is going as I read this book but I thought it made an interesting contrast.

No comments: