Monday, October 6, 2008

This Week In Entertainment (10/6/08)



My Pick of the Week is the latest volume of Three Stooges shorts. This takes us up to 1945, a year before Curly's career ending stroke. I bet Curly-only fans are pissed that they have to buy another set filled with Shemp shorts to complete their collection.


Also out on DVD this week is The Simpsons Season 11. This is a good season but I'm starting to lose interest in these sets. The only reason - besides the uncut episodes - to get these things is for the commentaries, and I don't enjoy them anymore. I wish they would put the complete catalog of shorts on one of these sets.

Here's a 2-disc set of Disney's Sleeping Beauty, the greatest film about old women arguing over dresses ever. Does Disney still bother with the "buy it now or we lock it in the vault...FOR A FEW YEARS! BWAAAHAHAHAHAH!" thing anymore?

Here's The Smurfs Season One, Volume Two. The Smurfs were on for about a decade, but I'm sure splitting the sets into volumes was not done because the studios are greedy. Nope, not at all.

Even the Peanuts have gotten political.

I'll give this to The Munsters. They have a complete series set while The Addams Family has three separate volumes.

Around the time MST3k was cancelled, SciFi Channel started advertising for Lexx, a show that seemed to be Star Trek with innuendo. Heck, take a look at the damn ship. I remember how MSTies focused their shock and outrage from the cancellation onto this show. Good times.

Apparently this is a documentary about Indiana Jones fans. Dorks. At least it wasn't some fanfiction film like I original thought.

See, this is why you shouldn't complain when somebody takes your crappy childhood memory and turns it into a really crappy movie. You'll eventually get enough interest in your memory that some studio will release it all so you can relive your memory once more.

There's something about this DVD cover that disturbs me.

Everything is.



On the Virtual Console this week is more Mega Man 9 stuff. For 200 Wii poins you can download Proto Man as a playable character and for 300 Wii poins you can play Endless mode. Proto Man has a slide and a charge shot, but he takes more damage then Mega Man. This means you have to pay an extra 2 bucks just to have the features that Mega Man has always had since the fourth game, plus you're punished for it! By the way, I already tried these features. I got to my thirtieth screen in my best attempt in Endless Mode before I died. The leaderboard had someone reaching over 3000 screens. I'm this close to catching up.

Shining Force 2 is a game I bought after playing the great Shining Force Game Gear game. I thought I would enjoy SF2 more because it had towns, but the game eventually bored me. I don't like the random battles in a strategy game. Also, I found the ending to be very troubling. "Only a human can kiss her. No dwarves allowed." Yikes, could they at least establish that the different races couldn't mate or something? 8 Wii poins.

Mario Golf was a N64 game that was one of the ones that I think had the Game Boy to N64 gimmick. You had to buy another golf game to unlock stuff on the N64 version. I hope you really like golf. This rom, of course, wouldn't have that gimmick.


If there were any worthwhile Wii or DS games, I forgot what they are. Stupid websites that I use only post future stuff.

No comments: