Tuesday, June 15, 2010

2010 E3 for the Big N

I watched the E3 live show for the fifth straight year, and this one will be remembered as being as big as the famous 2006 one. The show just had big game after big game this year, with little boring parts.


The show started with Zelda Wii right off the bat. The game has a Twilight Princess/Wind Waker hybrid look to it. The controls weren't working during the show but I'm sure Zelda: Recalibrate Every Five Minutes* will be a step up from Spirit Tracks.

* - Also known as Skyward Sword.


After that we got to the next few games, Wii Party, Mario Mix Sports, and Just Dance 2. Wii Party might be worth a look but I didn't care for Mario Party 8. Mario Mix Sports could have been worth a try if it had football like I assumed it would, but it has hockey, volleyball, and dodgeball. Eh. I'm not touching Just Dance.

That seemed to be it for the "casual" games, weirdly enough. Next up was Golden Sun DS. I have nothing to say about that because I never had a Golden Sun game. But I did have Goldeneye, and screw the revision historians. The N64 version is still a great game, so hopefully the Wii remake will be good.

Next up was Epic Mickey. It seemed to be a combo of Super Mario Sunshine mixed with Judge Doom. I hope the paint erasing means something other than removing a polygon in your way. Otherwise it seems to be like a 3d Mickey Mania.

The next couple games were Kirby: Yarn Epic and Donkey Kong Country Returns. I'll be honest, the Kirby game hurt my eyes a bit. I wish Kirby was whole while everything else was yarn. I was never a big fan of Donkey Kong Country but this remake should be a good platformer. It has Donkey and Diddy like the original game.

After that I was begging for some 3DS screens, but no, more games. I think there was a bit about Dragon's Quest IX but I tuned out at that point.

Metroid Other M was shown. The latest trailer didn't really show anything new. Too bad, because I really want that game when it comes out late August.


The big news of the show was the 3DS. That took up the final 30 minutes. Good, because that was what I anticipated the most. Sadly, they couldn't actually show the 3d features on the big monitors. I hope to see one in stores before too long. I was disappointed initially by the fact that it looks a lot like the DS, but the software and GameCube quality graphics look great. (Seriously, we Nintendo fans will be getting Street Fighter 4 and Saints Row.) And they're promising movies, which hopefully means I can put movies on it like an iPhone. If that's the case, that's a day 1 purchase right there. Too bad they didn't give a price.

The big surprise of the show was a new Kid Icarus game. I didn't care for the NES game, but hey, this is a chance to make it into a franchise so maybe it'll be a great first party title for the new portable.



After the show some nerds complained, but there weren't as many as usual. Also the Xbox 360 Slim would be purchased by me if I wasn't so ancient by video game standards. Oh well. I hope to try Kinect in a store. I know people are putting it down but if it's fun, it's fun.

1 comment:

Lita said...

Saying you don't care for Mario Party 8 is like saying, "I don't care for violent anal rape."