Monday, March 16, 2009

This Week In Entertainment (3/16/09)



My pick of the Week asks one of the ultimate guy questions: Curly or Shemp. This Three Stooges set contains the last of the Curly shorts before a stroke ended his career and the first several Shemp shorts. I personally would have used the scene from Hold That Lion! where Curly makes a cameo for the cover art, but I figured they wanted to use Curly as the selling poin. (Let's hope for a volume 6. That would feature Stooge shorts not released on video before!)


Out in theaters this week is Knowing. It's a film about a guy who discovers that numbers can predict future events. Or, most likely, numbers can predict past events if you look at them a certain way and ignore consistency. Did we really need this movie so soon after The Number 23? Has Hollywood been invaded by Art Bell fans? I wonder if there's something deliberate about encouraging conspiracy theory thinking, except I guess that would make me a conspiracy theorist. Damn. You win, invisible forces! You win.


Out on DVD today is Twilight. Can you believe there's a seven part Making Of series included on one of these sets? About a movie about twinkling "vampires"?!?!?!!?


This Pup Named Scooby Doo set contains the second through fourth seasons. I remember that I loved this show when it was first out, but then I hit the age where I started to get embarrassed by everything, so I probably stopped watching it.


Now you can murder and sell drugs on the go with Grand Theft Auto for the DS! Can the DS have a cool sound track, though?

2 comments:

PM said...

"I wonder if there's something deliberate about encouraging conspiracy theory thinking..."
I'd say yes, and not because of believing any particular conspiracy theory type thinking. People who buy into conspiracy theories don't engage in much critical thinking, and people who don't engage in critical thinking aren't very discriminating about what they believe and consume media-wise. The lazier the viewing public is, the lazier Hollywood can be and still make money. Not so much a conspiracy as it is Hollywood taking the path of least resistance. Just my opinion, mind you.

The Mickey said...

Oh fun. Conspiracy theories about conspiracy theories. :p