Monday, March 28, 2011

This Week in Entertainment (3/29/11)

My Pick of the Week is the Nintendo 3DS. It was technically released yesterday, but Sunday is a silly day to release something.


Also out this week is Source Code, which is sadly not about looking at lines of code for 90 minutes. You know, the only good part of The Matrix? The plot sounds a bit like Groundhog's Day, only as a thriller.

Christmas gets a lot of attention for a holiday that isn't as important as Easter. This 3D animated film tries to fix that, I assume.

Rubber is the story of a murderous tire. Part of me thinks that you should be able to write well no matter how dumb the the premise is. You know, challenge yourself. The other part thinks that maybe the public is clamoring for new ideas but this isn't what they mean.

On DVD we have Black Swan, a movie that earned Natalie Portman an oscar for pretending she didn't use a stuntman.

Tangled was Disney's continuing clumsy attempt to make 3D films without Pixar. Good thing you held onto them, right Disney?

The greatest American show about the Cold War is back. It's Bullwinkle and Rocky: Volume Five.

How can you not like Charlton Heston as Moses? Even as a kid I thought his Moses was laying it on thick but that's also why I love the movie.

I guess they're re-releasing the Xena seasons. Season 2 was aired locally on primetime on the WB, and it was a fun season. Not to serious like it got later on in the later third and fourth seasons. I lost track of the show went it went to India and into syndication.

Are you kidding me? Are you really releasing Ace Ventura Jr as if it was some companion piece to the two Ace films? That's like if I filmed my own version of Mortal Kombat and it was released with the two other movies. (Imagine me dressing in a cheap ninja costume and throwing a rope at somebody. That's good enough, right?)

The 80s had Friday the 13th, but it also had Police Academy. It was beginning of the summer blockbuster franchises and I guess they hadn't quite ironed everything out. How long until they reboot the series, or have they already done that?

No comments: