Monday, May 23, 2011

This Week in Entertainment (5/23/11)

My Pick of the Week is The Great Dictator, by Charlie Chaplin. This was the first full length film to criticize Hitler (at least in America. The Hays Codes prevented people from making overtly political films.) I think I read somewhere that it may have inspired the Three Stooges to make You Natzy Spy! Here's a clip of the globe scene.


Also out this week is a DVD of that wedding that happened recently. Hey, it's five bucks for women wearing goofy hats.

For 80 bucks you can own the complete Kids in the Hall series. I have Season One thanks to a friend, but I only watched half of it because I'm a jerk. I'll finish it someday!

I like Jon Lovitz from The Critic and The Simpsons but I don't think I've seen him in anything else, except High School High. I'm not sure how I would react to this comedy club featuring him. I do know that Showtime isn't really my thing. Showtime is like a lazier HBO.

Gnomeo and Juliet is about... look, I bet they just came up with the title and then slapped "generic 3d animated film" onto it. Prove me wrong and I will give you a credit at Tork's Blog.


In theaters is Kung Fu Panda 2. I haven't seen the first one because, you know, Dreamworks. By the way, nice poster. Way to ignore the Dreamworks face criticism.

I once saw an experiment where a teacher split her students up and made them ostracize each other based on eye color. The Wave kind of sounds like that, although I don't know how you make a feature length film about that kind of thing.

On Blu-Ray are a couple Civil War movies: Gettysburg, and Gods and Generals. Nothing against Civil War enthusiasts, because it really is a fascinating part of America's history, but it's also safe. It's easier to argue about things from the distant past because it's not a threat to the present.

A couple of Jackie Chan films: Operation Condor and Twin Dragons.



On the 3DS is Dead or Alive: Dimensions. Because breasts.

I don't know what 99Bullets is about, but I'm a sucker for anything that has a "retro look". 500 Nintendo Points.

No comments: