Monday, January 29, 2007

This Week in Entertainment (January 29th)



My Pick of the Week is the DVD release of Gymkata. I first heard about this movie as a running gag on Mystery Science Theater 3000, and I later saw it after Lita recommended it to me. Definitely a fun, cheesy movie from a cheesy era of movies. Everybody poins this out, but the best part of the movie is when the hero is surrounded by crazy murderers and he JUST HAPPENS to find a pommel horse. This allows him to break out his unique martial art style.

That's it as far as movies go. As for video games, there's no releases that interest me (but stay tuned for next week!) but the Wii Virtual Console is releasing two interesting games. The first is Super Mario Kart 64, which I never got. I played it in stores but it never interested me, and I'm a big fan of the original. Maybe I'll put it on my list of Virtual Console games I'd like to get, but maybe not for 1000 Wii poins. The other game (800 poins) is Comix Zone. I actually think there's many compilations that include this game at a much better deal. Still, despite the poor reviews this game got at the time, it seems to have its fans, plus it was kind of fun. Also a maybe.

2 comments:

wurwolf said...

One of my favorite OtAs is when Lita recapped this movie. She made it sound like such great, cheesy fun! Here's what she had to say about the pommel horse scene:

Finally, they chase Kurt into the town square. This is a scene that you have to see in order to comprehend its awesomeness.

It turns out that the crazy people were so nuts that they built a pommel horse right into the middle of their square. Kurt climbs aboard and uses his gymnastic abilities to kick the crap out of everybody.

Men, women, old ladies... none are safe when Kurt's working the pommel horse!

Finally Kurt gets tired of playing with the crazies and runs away again.


I have never seen this movie but I feel that, as a card-carrying MSTie, I must see it. It's right up there in MSTie legend with Roadhouse, and Lord knows I loved that movie. I shall have to avail myself of the Gymkhata dvd -- thanks, Torrk!

Anonymous said...

Roadhouse is so good, it took two OTA recaps!