Saturday, July 10, 2010

Music Video #101 (Day 10 of 2010)

The Flaming Lips are back for our first post-one hundred video challenge. Their latest weirdness is "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song." I guess the song is lyrically deficient. Not that I would complain about that.




OK, so I guess there are words in the song that aren't, "Yeah." Still has strangeness in it.

Our video starts with three lit doors. Then a light goes on and a man who looks like Karl Rove stands there. Next we see some Asian women strike sexy poses and brandish cleavers and hacksaws. They start to tape hamburgers to him. So, that's someone's fetish, huh?

Next we're outside and we see a guy wearing a Russian hat and coat. Or, whatever that represents. He's in charge of the prison area we're looking at. Some fat guys are being held back by guards. A young Kim Il Jong makes a cameo appearance on a poster. The Russian hat guy asks us through song, "Would you blow up the world at the flick of a switch?" YeNO! I mean, unless... Quit asking!

He then asks us if I would make everyone poor by just to make me rich. Well I could do that just by [the author's economical views are withheld to protect the author.] I guess the singer expects us to say yes do to the constant "yeah yeah yeah" in the background. Meanwhile we see more of the fat guys crosscut with the women taping more hamburgers to the guy. I think we can see where this is going. Is this video trying to make a political point? Because Lita knows how much I hate those.

Singer asks us if we would sit on our butts while watching everybody work. Umm, I have done that. Believe me. The fat guys are teased with burgers. Would someone get some sports bras for those guys? The hamburger victim even has one taped to his crotch. Yuck. Guy is finally pushed out into the prison and is quickly chased by the (STOP JIGGLING!) fat guys. Singer says that "we" will never know how corrupt they would be without my power. Haw. And I'm not giving it up, either.

One of the fatties leap at victim. Suddenly we're in a kitchen. Plenty of glazed donuts are sitting around. The Asian women drag a blonde in and tape the donuts to her, including her face and her crotch. Why does this video hate crotches so much? The furry hat guy is in a police station bribing cops. I think we're all waaaay ahead of this video now.







Singer asks us if we could counterfeit money. OK, so that's not what he says, but he could have phrased it better. Also, money is just...nah, won't be drawn into this argument. He then asks us if we had all the answers, would we give them to everybody. Yes. Check my ebay account for details. What? I put hard work into learning all the answers. (At this point you can imagine me folding my arms and looking hurt.)

Singer tells us that it's crazy to do such things because you don't know what you'll do with such absolute power. He's got a point, even if he's starring in a weird video where people are being taped to food and attacked. It's not even fair to the blonde because she has one of her eyes covered by a donut. Poor woman even has high heels on. She's luck to keep away from the police as long as she can.

Next victim is... the hat guy himself. TAKE THAT, you sicko! Your communist regime is coming to an end! The women tape and even staple raw red meet to him. Outside we see a street with cops holding a werewolf on a chain. The man is kicked out and the werewolf chases him through, what, somewhere in the Middle East? The man is at least smart enough to immediately rip off the meat on his face. We get a quick montage of the fat guys picking hamburgers off the first victim and cops biting donuts off the second one.

The video ends with the singer just sitting with the werewolf. The werewolf mugs and sings the final synthesize lyrics of the song. Awww, he looks like an animatronic wolf.







I feel weird liking this video when at times it comes off as a PG rated Saw movie. It misses an opportunity by not having the chase scene involve a fruit cart, though. The song is catchy.

The awesome part of the video is the werewolf when it lip-syncs to the song.

3 comments:

The Mickey said...

Yeesh....this is the worst Karen O has looked yet.

wurwolf said...

Yay! A werewolf!

Lita said...

The theme of this song is that absolute power corrupts absolutely, and although I doubt that Wayne Coyne's and my views mesh on all matters political and financial, I can't really argue with the song or the video. A lot of the people with all the power and all the money are pretty corrupt.

I almost didn't post this video because fat jokes and cop/donut jokes just don't do it for me. The last segment with the werewolf, however tipped me over into Posting It territory.

The awesome thing is the werewolf. But it's also me thinking about Paris Hilton pulling tape and sugar out of her hair after this whole ordeal is over.