Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Music Video #98 (Day 7 of 2010)

Today's video is dedicated to Maila Nurmi. It's Vampira by The Devin Townsend Band.



Hey look, heavy metal. Is it me, or is heavy metal hard purer than most genre? I mean, it's hard to deviate from "Hail Satan and screw what your parents say!" It's not like you'll hear "Jesus EFFING Rocks!; DON'T Go To Hell!" in church.

This song is called Vampira but it's really about our lead singer dressed in a devil costume. We start at the outside of a graveyard with a full moon. We see a quick evil letter flash on the moon. Is this a subliminal message from the Devil!? We're introduced to the band name and the song's title, the latter bleeding like a cheesy movie. Bats take us to a spot in the cemetery where our lead singer begins.

As he sings, we cut to a comic book which shows several different clips from the graveyard. It even has yellow boxes that describe Vampira, who we see in one of the panels. She does one of those Sixties dance deals. (That's as far as my knowledge of dancing goes.) Devil guy sings about how he feels sad when she's gone and he needs the strength to go on. Awwww, it's a regular love story dressed up in red pajamas!

Devil guy flashes several devil signs to remind us that he's a devil. And a heavy metal guy. Vampira points to him from another panel. She doesn't have much to do in this video besides look crazy. Meanwhile devil guy has himself a band thanks to some skeleton guys. Take that, Disney! Again, he sings about how the darkness comes while his gal is away. Oh, don't be so insecure. He sings about how his mind is now full of hate, but I think he really means jealousy or something like that. We see Vampira grow bat wings because she needs them for her deviant art account. He finally commands his girlfriend to kneel for him. I think he's coming on too strong but maybe it's just different for heavy metal...ers.

Oh, you dork. Now he's dancing in the graveyard. Why can't we have more enjoyable vampire films like this? He repeats how he feels with his gal leaves him, this time making it sound more intense. He dances around more while repeating the line about hate being his co-conspirator. (This goofiness makes me think of any one on the Internet who can't take criticism.) The video ends with everyone rocking out and a final look at the comic book pages. We're reminded that Vampira still walks the earth and causes madness. Just like any woman! Har!








While this genre isn't really my thing, the singer has a goofy charm to him. He taught me that even demons suffer from heart ache.

I'm glad they didn't try to make Vampira too sexy. I don't understand the pointy teeth/crazed look fetish.

The awesome part is whenever the singer would just dance. It sells the video.

4 comments:

wurwolf said...

"I'm glad they didn't try to make Vampira too sexy."

You're kidding me.

Lita said...

Most of the time when I choose these things, I find that I love the song, but the video blows. In this case I'm more or less indifferent to the song, but I loved the video so I included it anyway. The video is the awesome thing. I love the band in campy costumes dancing around and hamming it up in the graveyard.

Where I am right now does not have quite as much free wi-fi as I would like (any), so comments and new songs might not come in as quickly as usual. I don't anticipate horrible lateness, though!

Since I can't find the headphone jack on this computer, I can't really test these videos for quality for the next few days either. Hope none of them are staticy or mute or randomly cut to some dude's schlong or something!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lq5YOz0dLA

wurwolf said...

Funny, I kind of hope they do.

The Mickey said...

So that's what happened to the Noid.....