Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Music Video #97 (Day 6 of 2010)

Today's video, and not yesterday's video, is by Massive Attack. It is entitled Teardrop. Pffft, I can survive a teardrop.





I see where they were going with this video. I just don't think they got there.

We start in a dark, wet place. The walls look organic and there's some kind of...cord? Wait is this what I think it is? Before long, a tiny hand confirmed what I thought I was looking at. We're inside a womb looking at a cgi baby. Specks of womb debris float around, and the video at time treats it like snow flakes.

The music starts and we get to problem number one. I just can't understand the singer. After, "Love, love" I can't understand a word she says. The first time I watched the video I just tuned the lyrics out. It was the only way I could make the first go. She's singing very lovingly, I guess.

Love, to her, is a verb. True, but it can also be a noun. Oh, I should shut up. It's a verb to her because it's an action. And boy is she not afraid to say it! At least that's what I'm sure "fearless on my breath" means.

Actually, looking at the lyrics now I can see that they are meant to be poetic because I can't figure them out. "Teardrop on fire", "Most faithful mirror", "Nine night of matter" are all great examples. From the way she sings the song, I'm sure it all means, "lovey dovey wuvey loviness."

The womb lights up a bit as the baby opens its eyes. Do babies really do that? I can't even open my eyes in a pool. At this point we come to my second problem with this video. The baby sometimes sings to the song. I'm sure the video makers thought that this would be cute, and maybe deep or touching, but it just doesn't work. The uncanny valley hurts here.

Now we get a shot of the baby just chilling. Suddenly the lights go on and I guess it's about to drop some phat beats. We look downward at the source of the light. I guess it's showtime for the baby. Or not. The light goes off and we get more singing. The baby sings in the darkness which is suppose to be poignent or thought provoking or whatever the lyrics are going for. After the baby starts to look nervous we get more light, and the baby reacts. This time it looks like someone is shooting fireworks outside. So it's time for bir...or not. Huh. I guess it's a tough job being an unborn baby. Time for a nap, I guess.




I guess this song is sweet but I found the execution lacking. Also, the way the singer would sing high notes on the wrong syllables annoyed me. I'll have to give this song a thumbs down.

The awesome thing is when the baby looks like it's about to start air drumming.

3 comments:

Lita said...

Some songs have nonsensical lyrics because they sound cool (see Beck). Some videos have big floating creepy babies because it looks cool. Some artists sing their notes however the hell they want to because it's their song and they like it that way.

Fans of cranky drug addicted doctors with bum legs will have recognized today's video.

For some reason, this video is next on my list: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLXoobDKWs

The Mickey said...

....is that what they really look like????

I demand humans start laying eggs immediately!!

Go on...start laying!

wurwolf said...

I hate it when songwriters string words together to form nonsensical lyrics. I demand that my lyrics be understandable.