Friday, July 2, 2010

Music Video #93 (Day 2 of 2010)

Today we have the return of The White Stripes. This video is called "We're Going to Be Friends." Allow me to illustrate the concept.



Basically Jack White sits on a couch outside a home singing to some Asian chick. Oh wait, that's Meg, isn't it? She sleeps through the entire song until Jack wakes her at the end, so her only action in the video is opening her eyes.

Jack sings about meeting a girl at school. I assumed it was a romantic song but after listening a second time it's more about going to an elementary school and just having fun learning and playing. Between classes they look at bugs and get dirt on their uniforms. In class they sit together and don't notice the time pass by. It's a cute song about two school mates.

At the end of the song he recounts lying in bed and anticipating more of the same tomorrow. Here is probably why I assumed the song was more romantic since usually get a sense of yearning when people are alone singing about others. Nope, here Jack is just some kid singing about a girl he had fun with the previous day. It's an innocent song about school days.


I wonder if I've heard this song before. It feels familiar but I haven't seen any of the movies or shows listed at the wiki entry for this single. I'll admit that it's not the kind of song that will stay in my mind for a long time since it's slow and reflective, but it is a good song.

The awesome part of the video is how low key the music video is for a low key song. There's nothing fancy. There's no need to show anything. It's just a guy with a guitar letting your imagination do the work.




3 comments:

wurwolf said...

The awesome part is that sing a mean harmony with the bridge.

The only movie I recall this being in is Napoleon Dynamite.

The Mickey said...

This is the most adorable song ever written and I want to give it a big hug when I hear it.

Lita said...

I agree both with what you said and with what Micktey said. This song is just so sweet. :o)

I gave you a song by this artist last year and you liked it, so have another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y25stK5ymlA