Monday, October 26, 2009

Geocities is dead

I used to have a geocities account. I wanted to make a website that contained all the posts from a role playing game that my friends and I participated in. I also wanted to play around with HTML and work on my own things. So in 2002 I got an account and started making my own website.

It was fun at first, but unfortunately I did something really stupid that stopped the project dead. For some reason, you're not suppose to hard save a geocities webpage. Hard saving is when you save an individual web page to your computer. This ended up doing two things. 1) I could no longer access any geocities pages. 2) I was getting frequent pop-ups for female anatomy. Specifically it was always Asian female anatomy. I never got why it was so specific.

So somehow I had a virus that prevented me from using the website anymore at home. I think part of the problem was that I was using a Windows 98 computer with little updates. So I was left without a website and with the embarrassing task of telling my friends that I couldn't use my own website anymore. Thanks to my friend PM, I got a tripod account and was able to move my files over. Now I have a tripod account that I haven't touched in years. Hopefully tripod lasts a little longer. I don't want to move my stuff to freewebs anytime soon.

So thank you, yahoo, for giving me a place to host my first website. But I'm afraid my memories of geocities is mostly side ads and mysterious viruses.

No comments: