Saturday, May 19, 2007

Saturday Morning Cartoons: Mid Eighties

Last week I talked about the cartoons I used to watch on USA Cartoon Express. Since I don't feel like writing a Demo Fun thing tonight, why don't I look at the mid eighties to see if I remember which Saturday morning shows I watched? I'll focus on the early years before I started watching regularly.

In order to figure out what I watched, I had to find a schedule. Here's a website that has a listing for the eighties.

One of the earliest cartoons on this list that I know I didn't see on Cartoon Express was an episode of Supercade. This was a collection of cartoons based on popular video games of the time. The cartoon I saw was shown on very early morning, which is why I didn't watch the show more often. It might have already ran its course by the time I saw it. Anyway, it was an episode of Donkey Kong, where Mario and Pauline were in a raft for some reason. I think there were glaciers in the background. That's all I remember.

Another early show I remember is the Ewoks cartoon. I don't know if I saw this before or after the trilogy. Mostly likely before, because I think I saw parts of the trilogy at Delaware. I don't remember much about it.

Another show was Kidd Video. This was a show about some band who got transfered to a cartoon world where they did stuff. I don't know what they did, but there was a fairy whenever they needed a deus ex machina. There villians were some animal guys. I think the girl of the group wore leg warmers because it was the eighties. There were a lot of live action scenes so the band could pad the episodes with songs. This show may have been on a few years since I can remember it a little better then the above listed shows.

Punky Brewster - I never saw the original show. This cartoon was about a girl and her magic creature. She had some friends and they had adventures. I think there was a dad who never knew of the magic creature. I can remember two whole episodes! One was an episode where the friends won chunk of change on a game show and had to get rid of it all to win even more money. They lost when the boy friend had two cents left over from buying a candy bar. I don't think there was any magic hijinks involved. The other one had the magic creature making an evil Punky Brewster because he was lonely. The clone came from a picture where Punky was mad after she dropped an ice cream. The creature probably got rid of the wrong Punky at some poin.

Superfriends were still on when I was real young. I think I caught the tail end when they introduced Darkseid and the cartoon was a little darker. I think I remember Darkseid zapping Wonder Woman, but who knows. Firestorm might have been in these shows.

The Amazing Spiderman - This had Spiderman and Iceman and some woman (I'm pretty sure she had a fire power to complement Iceman.) I think they all had normal identities and switched over to their superhero identities somehow. We might have a part of an episode on a Beta tape somewhere.

I guess that's it for really early stuff. According to the website I posted earlier, the fall of 1986 seems to be the earliest where I recognize enough of the cartoons. So the next time I post about Saturday Morning Cartoons, I'll pick up with the 1986-1987 season.

No comments: