Tuesday, September 29, 2009

This Week In Entertainment (9/29/09)


My Pick of the Week is this animated movie about Batman and Superman teaming up against President Lex Luthor. I'm not a comic book fan and I wasn't really a fan of Lois and Clark or the nineties Superman cartoon, so I still think of Lex Luthor as the guy who wears the green and purple supervillian suit. So he would be the best president ever. Supposedly he uses a crisis against an overly reactive Superman, and I'm sure Batman has to clean everything up.



In theaters this week is 3D versions of Toy Story and Toy Story 2. I'm not sure how it happened, but 3D movies have become a hot, niche thing. They're even making new 3D HD televisions. I think the whole thing is silly but I will admit that 3D has improved since red/blue days of the fifties. I went to a ride at Busch Garden's where you feel like weapons are being thrown at your face without you getting a headache. Since the Toy Story movies are great, I wouldn't mind seeing them again with a silly gimmick. I just hope SOMEBODY doesn't screw up the inevitable third movie currently being made. Sigh.

Also in theaters is Zombieland. A movie about zombies. And land. Hey Woody, running away from a character isn't much different than playing the same character over and over again.


On DVD is Monsters and Aliens. I haven't seen it but it should be worth watching for the fifty foot woman character alone.

The seventieth anniversary of the Wizard of Oz gives them an excuse to milk more money out of the movie. Fine by me. Still love it and watch it once every year or so.

I never watched this show, but was it really necessary to announce on this box that the season (or select episodes) deal with these aging women hitting menopause? I know it's a drama, but really.

Remember the 80s? Here's the first four Police Academy movies advertised as fan favorites. A) They picked the first four movies, which means that the series ran out of steam afterwards, so they didn't have to pick the fan favorites. B) Were these movies really that great, or did they strike a nerve one year, and were able to coast a few more times? I bet the latter, and I doubt there's a huge amount of Police Academy fans.

I've never even heard of this Christmas movie. Is this even a muppets-muppets movie? I guess at least it has Statler and Waldorf on the cover, but I think the muppets are in trouble when their background hecklers are starting to become the most popular characters.



On the Wii is Dead Space Extraction. I have no idea what Dead Space is, but this game takes that and turns it into a rail shooter! Yay?

On the DS is Kingdom Hearts 358/2. Because we haven't had enough of this fan-wanking series about Disney characters meeting Final Fantasy characters, button smashing fighting, and ... ah, who cares? If I but it it will only be for pretty DS graphics.

No comments: