Tuesday, November 13, 2007

MST3k.com: Feels Like

Ok, I held back during my last review. I really wanted this cartoon to work. It would be great if Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanic, and the new MST3k cartoons could have all been produced simultaneously and MST3k fans could have gone through a new golden age. Well, too bad. Even though CT hasn't released it's first dvd, it's clear that the MST3k cartoons aren't working. They could get better, but these first two efforts aren't cutting it.



Today's episode is like last week where the cartoon resembles a host segment from the days of old. I can't quite put my finger on which specific host segment it resembles, but it feels like it resembles one. Maybe that explains the title. The cartoon has Servo and Gypsy talking about the weather, and how negative 275 feels like -280. This leads to Servo to go on and on about stuff that feels like other stuff. The problem is, it's not funny. I feel like I should be laughing, but I'm not.

I think the major problem with these cartoons so far is execution. One of the host segments that this reminds me of now that I think about it, is the opening host segment where Mike talks to Pearl during Time Chasers. They're both actually out in the middle of space, and Pearl makes a comment about how it's going to go down to absolute zero, so she's wearing a sweater. That was a funny comment. I think the reason why it worked there and not here was because in the MST3k episode, it was just a throw-away gag and here it's the center of the skit. Unfortunately, we can see the joke coming a mile away, so it's not funny.

Please guys, work this thing out! Write better!

Grade: F



Let's take a look at the rest of the site while we're here.

Videos haven't been updated, but the store has.

The store now has a section for Legacy Odds and Ends. This includes old merchandise from the mst3kinfo days including bumper stickers. It has the Clown in the Skies 2 cd, but not the much better first one. It has Play MSTie for Me DVD, which is basically the mp4 to the Clown in the Sky mp3. Lastly is Poopie 1 + Tom Servo's All Time Favorite Host Segments, which are both amusing but Poopie 1 can be found on one of the DVD sets and the Host Segments can be found in their own respective episodes.

The other major addition is static decals starring the new look of MST3k. I wish I could see the numbers for how well these things are selling.


Other than that, the only other changes include the resizing of the site (Thanks!) and they added the theme music to the silent intro*. There's also space noise in the background now, and it's thankfully hard to hear. It must still bug people though.


Until next week, bite me.



* - See? They can improve stuff! Maybe they can improve the writing.

No comments: