Monday, December 22, 2008

Rimmi's Cartoon Intro Challenge #14

This month's cartoon is Delilah and Julius. It's a French cartoon but we have an English version available for dopes like me. I'm going to mostly watch the English version.




The intro starts with two spies running across rooftops. The style of the cartoon is similar to those Esurance car commercials.

On an unrelated note, DAMN you Internet nerds for making movies about your crushes on cartoon characters!!!!

Anyway, groovy narrator tells us that these two people are orphans and they are left alone to defend the world. They do stuff like flip around and appear in split screens. Because they're so extreme they can't just be confined to one box, don't you know. Our heroes, a guy and a girl, are wearing black ninja spy clothes, except Delilah is wearing red stripes and Julius is wearing light blue stripes. I'm guessing at the names, by the way. They wear utility belts, so I'm guessing that this is a spoofy spy show. Saint Adam West smiles upon this cartoon.




By the way, is Delilah's thigh longer than her torso? Am I looking at this picture wrong?

Narrator let's us know that he took in the two orphans. So this show has a Charlie's Angel angle. We get a look at him and he's the grooviest thing ever. Imagine if Charlie showed his face and whenver he ordered the angels to do something he insisted it's no big deal. He would then follow this up by asking them to play hacky sack. That's how groovy he looks.



Anyway, he runs a giant academy. He talks about how it's a training ground for the spies but I want to know where he got the money for that kind of thing. I guess it's explained in the pilot but I don't plan to watch it. Then hippy narrator says "Now they have me, and each other...and it's cool." This guy is more laidback than Sam Casey.



After letting us know that our heroes are still teens, we get to find out what's the difference between them. Besides the obvious thing that allows them to have a romantic subplot. Julius the guy (I got it right!) is a surfer, poet, and safe cracker. I bet the second trait is his "humorous" one. You know, he's a tough spy, but he loves poetry! Isn't that hilarious!?




Delilah the girl knows fencing, etiquette, and explosives. I guess that's a way of saying that she's a lady, but she's a SELF-SUFFICIENT girl when it matters. I guess this means that she has to do all the dirty work while Julius sits around waiting for his safe cracking or surfer skills come in handy. Isn't it wacky when gender roles are reversed!?




Anyway, they know all the spy cliches like being masters of disguise and fluency in different languages. Although now that I think of it James Bond never bothered with either of those. Speaking of cliches, narrator tells us that they're saving the world one crime at a time. Then they punch the screen. Kapow!


This show is actually a Canadian show. I just assumed it was French. The entire is done entirely in Flash. It lasted two seasons and ended recently.

There's nothing else that really jumps out from the wiki entry, other than the fact that there's a flash game about the show. Here it is, although my brief attempt at the game didn't last long because I didn't pay attention to the tutorial. All I did was go from airport to airport while Groovy Charlie yelled at me each time. Did you know that the tallest tower in the world is at Toronto? I now know, unless this is Canadian propaganda.

No comments: