Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cinematic Titanic: Doomsday Machine

I got my copy of Doomsday Machine and a CT tshirt yesterday. If it wasn't summer I'd be wearing the black shirt right now. My preliminary take on the episode is that it was better than The Oozing Skull, but not quite the breakthrough episode I was hoping for. If I graded them, I'd probably both give them Cs but give Doomsday Machine a C+.

This DVD offered one thing that I asked for since the last episode, which was a premise of sorts. Here it is: The Titans (I've seen that name somewhere so I'll use it) are movie riffing guys. Some nerds are big fans so they eagerly await their efforts. As Trace poins out, they don't use robots anymore. That's about it. It's somewhat vague but I think that the poin is that there really is no premise, unless they eventually discuss how and why the theater was built. Maybe some MSTies built it for new riffing and the Titans obliged. Anyway, this intro didn't explain much but it was neat, and I hope they keep it as a part of the show.

Unfortunately, it was the only segment that worked. They had two host segments during the movie and neither of them were good. The first one was very predictable. The second one was better, but I can't recall it now. I like host segments because they provide a break (it's something I miss while listening to Rifftraxes) but these needed work.

I'm going to add more stuff later to day. Keep checking back...

No comments: