Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Good Cheap Places to Eat in NYC, Part 2

Last night my teeny tiny Asian husband and I went to the Cosmic Diner on 8th Avenue and 52nd Street. I will admit that I like diner food a lot, so I'm probably biased, but there are a lot of diners around here -- so many, in fact, that I got overwhelmed and just have never bothered to actually pick one.

We chose to go to the Cosmic Diner last night because, according to Bill Corbett of Rifftrax, he and other Brains ate there at least once and their autographed picture was up on the wall. (Bill said this on the Rifftrax blog. I know he did, don't ask me to prove it.) We didn't see any autographed pictures of any Brains at all (just some dumb Broadway people), but the food there was great. We both ordered burgers -- Onil ordered the Texas burger, which came on a regular hamburger roll but topped with cheese and a fried egg, and I ordered the pizzy burger, which came on an English muffin and topped with mozzarella and marinara sauce. All in all pretty straight-forward burgers (mine especially), but they were really delicious. The meat was flavorful and the sauce on mine tasted great. We also ordered onion rings, fries and sodas, and the entire bill came to $27.25.

If you're in the culinary wasteland that is Times Square, walk a few blocks out of your way to the Cosmic Diner for an excellent burger. It's open 24 hours a day, which is great when you've been up carousing all night long and just need some fast and cheap food (it's happened to me before).

No comments: