Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rimmi's Cartoon Challenge #2

Today's cartoon intro is Gravedale High. Do they still show cartoons on Saturday mornings? I know the big three networks eventually abandoned them, but does the CW or whatever show cartoons? Does Fox still do it? If they do, might I suggest that the one thing kids don't want to see on Saturdays is a school? Or am I the only one who hates shows about schools?

Of course, this isn't just a show about kids who hated each other and themselves. No, this is a ghoul school! The traditional Universal-inspired movie monster teens go here.




You'll note that this isn't any Gravedale High, but it's RICK MORANIS Gravedale High. Before I looked it up, I guessed that this cartoon took place during two time periods. Because of the vaguely Thriller theme and the fact that kids might remember him from Ghostbusters, this could have been made in the mid 80s. It turned out to be made in 1990, my second guess, because this was around the time Honey I Shrunk the Kids was released. How was the career going, Rick?



We see a bus go by and in it we see some of our students. Apparently there is only a dozen students that go to such a huge school. These kind of shows only last 13 episodes, so it wouldn't be shocking if it was true. You can already hear the writers shrug. Anyway, we see many of our students burst out of tombs (which I bet are actually lockers, since this is a school! get it!?) to sing the refrain of the theme song. I think the vampire guy is the star, since usually it's the coolest looking guy. They wouldn't make it a shrimpy character. Those are sidekicks. This show should have made the eyeball kid the star just to buck tradition!





As the creature from the black lagoon kid surfs, the vampire kid decides to grow wings for no reason. This is more proof that he's the star, since the intro is focusing on him and he seems to have magically powers. I bet the medusa girl is his girlfriend since she's (ironically) the prettiest cast member. Vampire looks Fonzieish, and now I got the infamous Fonzie cartoon intro in my mind. Time travel!

Rick Moranis's character is apparently the human principal. Man, I can see the hijinx right now. Also the show has an animal mascot, since it's not enough to have all kinds of monsters. We also need a funny cat!


I could probably stomach this show just to see what it's like, but there's a reason why I don't remember it. It looks uninspired. Sure, it has all those monsters, but otherwise it looks like another phoned-in 13 episode half hour filler. Which is weird because it seems to have a big cast.

Looking at wikipedia, it seems that Rick Moranis played a teacher trying to fit in instead of the principal. Great, an arc in a thirteen episode series.



I know I'm prejudiced against a show like this but I'm betting this is one of the reasons why NBC was the first to ditch Saturday for news coverage.

2 comments:

Rimmi said...

YAY!!! I liked this review a lot.

I never saw this cartoon myself. I wonder why. It looks like a cartoon I would totally watch.

wurwolf said...

I didn't know the networks stopped showing cartoons on Saturday morning. So what do they show now?