Monday, September 15, 2008

Rimmi's Cartoon Challenge #5

Today's cartoon is Liberty's Kids. I waited so long to do this one that the link Rimmi gave me is no longer working, so I found another one.



Liberty's Kids is a show about the American Colonies just before they rebelled against England. It seems to center on some kids, on the theory that kids who watch the show would relate to them better. I'm not sure I agree with that theory but I haven't been a kid for a while. I will tell you that as a kid I would have passed on this show because it was on PBS and not Sesame Street related at all.

The show is educational, which you can tell without looking up info about it. It definitely has a pro-America bend, although I'm sure they were light on the slavery thing. Not Gibson's The Patriot light, but I doubt the American army was integrated at the time. It might have, but it still seems off.

The main characters are a redhead young woman, a blond young man, and a shrimpy...not-caucasion. Sorry, I suck at telling ethnicities apart. Also, Ben Franklin seems to be a big part of the show, unless they are just throwing in the first Founding Father they can think of. "Yeah, put some famous guys into the intro or we'll lose the parents looking for educational programming. Throw in Washington and that crazy kite guy."



The show was probably a continuous show. The intro suggest it all takes place with in a short amount of time, so it can't be episodic. It would be weird if they had the Boston Tea Party one week followed by the redhead yelling at the blonde for flying a kite in bad weather while the shrimp complains about stamp taxes.

The intro includes a rap. Yo. Word. History is tight. Yo. Watch me fold my arms and wear my hat backwards. Dog. Read a book.


Ever helpful wiki says that this show was aired during 2003, which seems about right. I never watched the show but it seems like it was always on while flipping the channel. The show was 40 parts and took place from the Boston Tea Party to the Constitution Convention.

Two things:

One, the Boston Tea Party seems to early. The theme clearly shows the kids printing protests about one of the many taxes that ticked off the colonists. It should at least boil over before the Revolutionary War starts. I figure the show would introduce the characters while this is going on, but maybe they skipped that to get to the "good" stuff, lots of fighting.




Two, the Constitution Convention? Wow! I bet the kids will LOVE to see a bunch of guys argue about whether congress should be represented equally among states or among population. Or whether slaves should be counted in representation. Man, I envy those kids!

Some of the voice actors are crazy. Walter Kronkite? Arnold Swartzenegger? Billy Crystal? Ben Stiller? Wow.

I'm sure I could watch an episode of this show just by flipping through the channels on a Sunday morning. I won't, because I don't have the attention span for an educational show that isn't classic Sesame Street.

1 comment:

Rimmi said...

On-Ree is French. Maybe you zoned out during all the yawn-worthy, history junk.