Saturday, September 6, 2008

And special thanks to Tork...

I have a youtube account. While I don't plug it here, I am going to plug a youtube video that just special thanked me. I think. If not, I like to think they were thanking me.

Anyway, two years ago after getting broadband I was putting up some videos at my brand new account. It was mostly Nuveena and video game stuff. Than I got a bright idea. What if I play through EarthBound and put up ten minute videos of the entire game? For those who don't know, EarthBound is a trippy Super NES rpg that was a huge hit in Japan, a bomb in America, but now has a cult following here. You play as a modern young teen who has to stop an alien invasion by traveling through silly caricatures of America and other parts of the world to collect a song.

Anyway the youtube thing was already getting a lot of press and I suddenly thought it would be fun if I could flood youtube with a bunch of videos of a an entire playthrough of a game I loved. Since I've played the game several times before, I tried to hit as many locations and conversations as possible. It took me 117 videos, all under 10 minutes to complete the game. The final count was about 14 and a half hours, not including the several mistakes I made. (I didn't use Windows Movie Maker at the time, so I had to trust that my emulator would make a movie file that was under the 100 Mb max and that I would quit before the 10 minute mark.)

Why am I bringing this up? Because before me, there were only about two EarthBound videos. As the first one who put up full EB videos and who actually beat the game, I got several subscriptions. There have since been other playthroughs, and they're probably better than mine, but I get to claim to be the first.

Which leads up to this video. This video is a fan project by a group call UbseyMovie that make purposely low budget videos based on the EarthBound story. This video is chapter four.




Wait till the credits. I'm sure they're thanking me and I'm flattered if it is. They may have used my videos to find some key dialogue. If not, it's still a fun video. If you never heard of the game, at least go to about 3 quarters in and watch the band play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, you were visited with an excellent idea