Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Bumblefudge Legacy: Generation 0: Chapter 1

Hey! I'm back! And so is Sally!

When we last left Sally Bumblefudge she was standing on her empty lot with her garbage can and her mailbox and giving me this look of complete distrust and maybe even fear.

Silly Sim lady! I'm not going to make you sleep on the lawn! One new home, coming right up!



We're going to start with a largish foundation because I'm thinking I might want to build a basement later....

Or maybe now.


Ok, everybody, time for Basement 101!

Building a basement in Sims 3 is a lot like building one in Sims 2. All basements must start with a foundation at least one square larger all around than the basement you want to build. Once you've built your foundation, you need to go in and remove most of it, leaving just that one square outer ring as seen above.

There's two possible ways to go from here. The first involves putting up one square of wallpaper on the foundation wall, as seen above. Make sure you choose a pattern that is a different color at the bottom than it is at the top. You're going to use this as a yardstick of sorts.


Now use the ground level tool to lower the ground by the wall until you hit the bottom of your wallpaper. You'll be able to tell where to stop or if you went too far because of your distinctive wallpaper. Once you get to the proper level, use the ground leveling tool to make the entire basement the correct depth.

I don't like that method so much, so I tried the other way.


With this method you plunk down three stair sections. They magically get you to the proper depth. It's easy as hell. Hooray!

Proper depth is achieved the stairs are in the way so we can remove them.

Use the level tool to check that we're at the right depth. We are! Now level the rest of the basement.


In this picture you can see why we have that one square ring of foundation. The walls of the hole don't go straight down, so if you don't include that foundation ring as a buffer you end up with your house sitting in this ugly hole that is visible from the outside.

Basement Achievement unlocked!


Sally doesn't need a basement right now, though, and I don't anticipate the Bumblefudge family needing one for quite some time, so let's cover it up for now and plunk down some furniture.

Sally isn't rolling in cash, so I'll put stuff down in order from most important to least important and see how far we get.



Tah dah! Sally doesn't get all that many walls or even a front door, but she does get something resembling a functional home.


There's the kitchen. Yeah, the fridge looks freakish. I know. Sims 3 has this cool new tool that lets you change colors of your decor at will and match things to each other and plenty of awesome things like that. I changed the color of the wallpaper and then I wanted to change the color of the fridge to match the wallpaper. Yeah, I could have fixed the door so it's not white, but by then my level of caring about Sally's cheapass fridge was running out and I didn't want to mess with it anymore.


The bedroom has a lot of green in it, but I did remember that Sally's favorite color is orange, so I used the decor tool to make the poo room more fitting for her tastes. Looking at it now I'm noticing that I forgot to get her a light. She's going to have to pee in the dark until I remember to put one in there.

There's plenty of space behind that wall, but I don't yet know what's going to go back there.

This little study area shows off one of the neat new things about this game. You can put furniture on a diagonal now. It's cool!


So back to Sally, still standing frozen on the lawn, completely unaware of the half-house that just popped into existence behind her.

As soon as I unfreeze her so she can go explore, a want pops up in her wish panel. She wants me to let her join the culinary career. I can choose to save this wish to one of the four empty panels below it, meaning I plan to grant it later. I can also ignore it or banish it. This wish is in line with her lifetime wish to be a master chef, so I have no problem promising it to her.

Sally checks out her new stuff. She loves that I got her a fire alarm. I hope that's not foreshadowing.

Once she's done exploring, I plunk her down and tell her to start studying cooking. This will help her with the chef career and help her not poison herself or burn down the house the first time she tries to eat. A worthy goal.

That's enough for now. Next time I'll try to get Sally a job, and then send her trolling for dates. See you then!

No comments: