Wednesday, September 26, 2007

King's Dominion 2007: Part 8

Last time on King's Dominion 2007: I stood in front of the Eiffel Tower.







Look, I made it to the top of the tower! The sun was pushed back by some clouds, so it wasn't horribly hot, either. I decided to take quite a few pictures up here. I still had "140/999" on my camera, so I felt I had to pick up the pace here.

Here's a shot of the parking lot. When I was a kid, they had those signs that told you where you are. You know, like the Yogi area and the Boo Boo area and the Quick Draw area. I'm not sure if the parking lot is smaller or bigger than in the 80s and 90s.

Now that I can see the parking in the distance, I guess it wasn't as crowded as it could have been, even though it was the Sunday before Labor Day.




Here's the fountains in the International Street area. I'd say I had a water fetish, but that would imply something different than what I intend.

I like those trees. I've found a photo website where someone posted all their King's Dominion trips from the seventies to a few years ago, and during the first year the trees weren't there.




Ow, my neck! Oh, the picture is just sideways. By the way, are there still people outside the gate? Latebies!





This...I'm not sure where this is. I think it's just a secluded area of the park.





I would have said that that's the Paramount Theater in the distance, but I don't see the tunnel, so it's not. Let's skip this photo because the quality sucks. I guess I wasn't in the shade when I took it.





In this picture I was most interested in that thing way back there next to the horizon. Is that some sort of factory in the distance?





Oh, great picture! That certainly cleared my previous question up!






On your left you can see the vertical drop ride that I mentioned earlier. If you look to the left below it, you can see the sign from a few updates ago. At the bottom you can see the Triple Spin that I went on between a couple roller coasters.

The big white roller coaster is the Rebel Yell, I think. That ride has been with the park since the beginning and was actually featured in a movie called Rollercoaster. It's one of those dumb all-star disaster movies from the seventies. If I had netflix I would watch it as soon as I could.





This is a nice look at a kids version of a ride where you sort of control how you glide by tilting the thing in front of you left or right. I'm not sure what it's called but I can tell that it has the Nickelodeon logo.





Here's a look at the cage they have on top of the tower. I don't think I could go up if this wasn't there.





Back to a look at the parking lot. That's a lot of trees in the horizon.

See anything interesting? Well, I don't. Let's move on.





This is a top view of another kids ride. This lets children ride around a fake set of streets with Nick logos everywhere. I'm not sure how free they are to go where they want and to hit whatever.





Here's a top view of the carousel. I didn't go on this one, probably because I felt too old. It's listed as being in the area known as The Grove, but I think it was still next to the kids section. I walked by it several times but never thought about getting in line.

I think the blue roller coaster here is the Shockwave, but don't quote me on that.




This blurry picture is where the Smurfs used to live. It's Volcano: The Blast Coaster. You can see the start of the Avalanche to the right, and the Tomb Raider ride at the bottom.





If I had a better idea of which roller coasters are which, I would be doing a better job of explaining these things. Is that the Avalanche on the right?

That might be the Scooby Doo roller coaster in the center, since it looks so wimpy. Can you believe that there was a year or two where I couldn't even go on that? I didn't go on it this year, but at least I can just say that it's too kiddy for me. Besides, I already went on the Avalanche so there.





I tried to get a picture of some hawk or whatever it was but failed. That could be a speck of dirt or a scratch if you weren't looking for a bird.





Here's the Water Works area of the park, which we went to when we were looking for lockers. You can see the sign to the vertical drop sign at the bottom right. That giant code ride looked awesome. You get this raft that's sort of shaped like a honeycomb which seats four people. You then go into a series of tubes and come out at the cone where a lot of water is pumped out so you end up sliding back and forth. If I wasn't so self-conscious, I would have gone on a ride like that.

If you look hard you can see a small river where the lazier types can just float down. I've never done that but I should do that one day. In fact, it's officially on my list of things to do before I die.

There's also some slides, but I think they got rid of the slides you can get on without getting wet. My dad and I used to always go on a water slide where you sat on a raft and didn't worry about getting wet, but I couldn't find it. If I missed it, that would be my biggest regret of the day.




The slides here are definitely the kind where you end up in a pool. By the way, that big roller coaster? You have to go under that and take a right to get to even more water rides. More on that later.




Here's another look at the Triple Spin and what should be part of the Shockwave.

I wish I could tell what those shops were in the distance. They probably sold food or caricatures or something. The one on the right looks like a prize game.





I hate to end on this picture, but we'll just have to blame the sun for messing it up. These are two rides you would have problems getting me on, by the way. The roller coaster is the Hypersonic XLC. I have a hard time getting on roller coasters in the first place, and this one has a 90 degree vertical drop. Yeesh. We'll get to the other scary ride later.



Next up:

Will I have anything to say about more aerial pictures?
Will I bore my audience with more aerial pictures?
Will I get on more than a few rides? We'll see.

1 comment:

wurwolf said...

Really. Did you actually go on any rides besides the Avalanche?