Sunday, July 6, 2008

Music Video #36 (Day 6 of 2008)


Today's video is called Down by the Water. It's by PJ Harvey, who may or may not tell us the rest of the story for the next three and a half minutes.


My initial reaction to this video is that I'm glad that the producers of the Bond series went with Goldeneye and not "Big Fish Little Fish." The entire music video is like a Bond intro. I also think this will be a short entry because the video lacks a narrative and I'm too literal-minded to understand lyrics. I'll try my best though.

PJ Harvey sings while shaking it in front of a black background. We get a couple cuts to a bubbling pond with lily pads until suddenly she jumps feet first into it. She's going to get her red dress all wet. At least she's enjoying it I guess. After swimming somewhat she gets bored of that and we see her in front of a green wavy background whenever she's not in front of the default one. The visuals repeat except for the one poin where a water ring rises to the surface and we fade to PJ so that the ring looks like a halo.

That's it with the look of the video. Time for lyrics. Ok, so it's about the singer and her daughter, and...I don't know. I'll be honest, while looking for the lyrics to the song I saw the wiki entry for PJ and it had a section that had her say something like "People are so literal that they really thing I left my kid on the beach" or something like that. Which is funny, because that's what I would have eventually concluded, although before her daughter was brought up I would have guessed that the singer was fooling around under a pier. Although it would have been with another girl, so...whatever.

While you laugh at me, let me try reading again. The song is about regret. Regret of, I don't know. Tossing her daughter into the water. There. Whatever. If it's poetic, I'm not getting it. I'm going to stare at the ground now.


Good song. If only I understood it at all.

The awesome thing is the ring halo. I guess the singer isn't suppose to be evil, but I'm not sure what she did to redeem what she may have done. Just because she went through hell doesn't mean she's done anything to start getting out of it. But the ring visual is still neat.



3 comments:

Lita said...

Heh. I always interpreted this song as being about a woman (not literally PJ Harvey) who drowns her daughter after finding out about some sexual indiscretion. I like my interpretation and I'm sticking with it.

The awesome thing about this video, to me, is that it scared the bajeezus out of Beavis and Butthead. It's a good album, too.

New video. This one has a story, as well as lots of Parisian Night Suits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ2KBILIu-4

The Mickey said...

I'm not gonna change the channel....

It doesn't scare me when you do it

wurwolf said...

I think I made it about a full minute into this video before I bailed. I found it boring.