Thursday, July 10, 2008

Music Video #40 (Day 10 of 2008)



Music Video Challenge 2008 hits double digits today as Lita punishes me for the comments I wrote for the last video. It is Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse, by of Montreal. Please watch the following three and half minutes in moderation.


Well, Lita promised that the videos were going to get weirder, and if I wasn't afraid of what she had planned, I'd ask if they could get weirder than this.

We start off with a Q on a stage in front of a dark curtain. As the song starts GAH! I guess the Tron guy was the inspiration for the guy currently on screen. He's not quite as lumpy. He does have sugar frosted eyes, though. He's currently doing the tree position from Wii Fit. Back to Q. Not surprisingly, he's complaining about his mood swings. He sings like a junkie and reveals himself to be lumpy Tron guy wannabe. LTGW must be a geek because when the current pulls back two guys dressed as space ships shoot pretend to fight while LTGW fights Kid Icarus. Suddenly there's an audience and they approve.

Yikes. Now he's lying on his side wearing a police cap. And someone drives a car up his arm, which leads to a close up of his hip. Thanks for that, video! This guy and some other people have a pretend war. They're joined by a guy in a bear costume, because the video wasn't weird enough. The singer starts mentioning chemicals, which shows us the inspiration for the video. (I could end now but I would really disappoin my 2s of readers if I did.)

LTGW is on a date. It goes well until a bear furry attacks him. I'm going to hold on to the rest of my bottle of Deer Park for testing. Meanwhile he's now pleading with chemicals and at the same time threatening it. That'll show em! LTGW leaves to dance with some big head ancient Greek actors. He's no Mr. Bean.

He starts singing about Nina twin and how "she" will help him. I'm guessing this refers to the pills that stabilize his mind. (Psst, increase the dosage!) Now he's back to being in a crisis. I'd rag on him some more, but I do feel bad about his mood swings. I hope he doesn't get the deflated balloon swing. That one really sucks. He sings while he's held in front of a water background pretending to swim. He also gains a claw arm for some reason. That would snap me out of my mood. Come on, lumpy Hellboy! Go win Selma Blair's heart!

Now we just get a montage of all the earlier visuals dancing, including guys dressed up as Lite Brites. Then, our protagonist turns into a goddess, or something. Or maybe those are ball and chains, so he's now a prisoner to his mental instability. Man this is weird. The ghost in the audience finally gets up and leaves while business people on stage approve. The song ends as the cast takes a bow, but I'm sure LTGW will be back Linto chemicals when he sees the ghost's devastating review! HAW!!


Very strange video. Hallucinations aren't really my thing, and neither are songs about drugs. The song is ok by itself, I guess.

The awesome thing about the video is the scene where he's wearing a costume which looks drawn on while standing in front of the piece of paper background. It makes him look convincingly like a small action figure instead of a weird guy.

By the way, I forgot about the title. Which is ok because I don't understand it and google isn't helping. Never mind I brought that up.

6 comments:

Lita said...

"He's currently doing the tree position from Wii Fit."

*headdesk*





There isn't much more I could add. Here's your next video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbzt1HnVzIQ

Jay Maynard said...

That was...weird.

Getting white spandex not to show through what's underneath is hard, BTW. Just thought you'd be interested to know that.

wurwolf said...

This video was my pick. The song is from one of my top five albums of 2007, "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?" by Of Montreal. While it's full of convoluted lyrics, keyboards and awesome basslines, it's essentially a break-up album. At this poin in the song list the protagonist is (obviously) trying to assuage his broken heart and depression with prescription drugs. Nina Twin is actually Kevin Barnes' (the lead singer) wife.

I like the way Kevin Barnes takes a depressing subject and put it to upbeat music. Plus, he's a mad fiend for classic rock. Tons of covers of CR songs by him can be found all over the intranets.

Tork said...

Did the Tron Guy just respond to my blog because I ragged on him?


Man, if only this would work on Halle Berry or Selma Blair. I bet the former has been criticized on blogs enough, though.


I'm also never posting a picture of myself before I become the rag..ie. I got to start posting cool stuff before people find this blog.

The Mickey said...

AWESOME!


Blog about Marcy Rylan!


I know I have my own blog, but your site's more popular than mine!

wurwolf said...

I think he did, Torrk:

http://www.tronguy.net/