Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Music Video #38 (Day 8 of 2008)


I'm looking at Live Sold-Out Tork's Blogium. Today's video was a back up but is now the star. It's "At Your Funeral" by Saves The Day. It's a little over three minutes long.


Ah, one of these videos. It tells a story of a guy from birth to growing old. We start with the singer in a blank room. As the room rotate, we see a family move in with a new baby and the room progresses until the kid is old and moves out. We go through various stages like a childhood birthday party, a teen year where he has a ton of guitars, and his adult years where he's raising his own child in his own room. Huh.

As for the lyrics, I couldn't really hear them when I first watched the video but I should have known how dark they are from the title. The singer sings about how the viewer is taking illegal drugs and is so high that you would probably die if he flooded your house for some reason. The singer boasts that this current song will rock the afterlife once your gone. Maybe this is what Tenacious D was writing a tribute to.

This song is rather sad, even though it's played upbeat. The singer offers his hand because he wants to save the viewer from self-destruction. There's a weird part where he sings about being a pig with an apple in his mouth. He says that even as food, he'd celebrate you. That's good, if really creepy. I'm not sure what this song has to do with the visuals. At no poin do the people look like they're suffering at all. They just lead a normal life in their one giant all purpose room.


I don't get this song. Maybe if I knew more I would like it more.

The awesome part is the fact that the singer looks vaguely like Mickey The Gardener, who writes a good blog but doesn't update enough. (I know nothing of this band and it's reputation, so hopefully he isn't offended by this.)

3 comments:

Lita said...

The guy in the song has a friend who's killing him (or her)self with their self-destructive behavior. He's singing about his friend's impending death. Yeah, it's pretty dark, but I think a lot of people who have idiot friends who insist on hurting themselves could relate.

The video is what initally drew me to this song. I just really like the effect of going through this man's life, all in one room.

That kid looks like Mickety if Mickety were 12 years old. I have no idea how old the dude is in real life, but he looks like a toddler to me. Good singing for a toddler, though.

New song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1wnOUH2jk8

The Mickey said...

I totally just posted today, wisenheimer! It's the best blog post ever too!


And the song's cool, but I found the album kinda meh...so I'll let it pass......

wurwolf said...

Onil likes Saves the Day. I don't get the appeal, quite frankly. I get them confused with Dashboard Confessional.

The lead singer of STD (hee!) gives me the creeps. I don't like the way he's looking at me when he sings.