Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Games I've Played #3

I couldn't think of anything to post so I'll dust off this old entry that I meant to post after the first The Games I've Played but I was never satisfied with it. Now I just want to post anything. Remember, here at Tork's Blog, it's always quantity over quality!







Today I'll talk about Miner 2049er. It's another Atari 800 game. It was the second of three games that we kept in our house. Of course, in this case we had two copies of the game.



Miner 2049er is about a mounty named Bounty Bob. You're looking for a guy named Yukon Yohan because...I forget. I'll have to look up the instruction manual, but that guy is the bad guy. Not that he's in the game or anything. Anyway, the goal of the game is to walk over every piece of land, turning it from solid to blank. You have to avoid mutants and falling to your death. Items around the level can be collected so you can get rid of the mutants Pac-Man style.

Miner 2049er is basically a trial and error game. You need to find out the best way to clear each area, how far you can drop down, and the best way to allocate items to clear out the mutants. There are ten levels, which each have a gimmick like slides or a big cannon in the last level.



Bob is supposed to be a mounty, even though the box art makes him look like a grizzled old prospector. I think they made him a bounty because the sprite has mounty hat. It couldn't be any other kind of hat.


My favorite level is the sixth one, which has a big vat of radioactive waste for no reason. There's really no poin for it since you could fall to your death without it. I think Big Five was just showing off.






This is a classic game, and I really recommend it. You can download an emulation of the game here, although for some stupid reason they mapped the jump button to the escape key. This program also includes the sequel.




No comments: