Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Redskins Watch (September)

I apologize to two thirds of my audience.



I've fallen behind on this feature because of two reasons. First, work had interfered with my ability to say a couple paragraphs about each game. The second reason is that the Redskins had raised my expectations with their first two wins, then dashed them against the rocks with their lost. Blah.




Week 1 - Vs Dolphins


I didn't watch the first half of the game. I was busy writing some code so during the afternoon so I could have the rest of the day to myself. I did have ESPN's gamecast on, and I was annoyed when the Dolphins scored the touchdown at the end of the half.

I watched the second half wearing my Redskins cap (signed by former RB Ricky Ervings!) My heart started to beat hard while I watched. I remember being annoyed with the defense because it allowed Trent Green to drive when it mattered. This game was crazy given how Smoot and Randle El both had improbable chances to win. It was good to see the Skins get a good drive in overtime to win it.



Week 2 - at Eagles

I didn't watch this one either till the end. I did celebrate when Gamecast told me that the Redskins scored at the end of the half despite their determination to kick a field goal. I watched the fourth quarter, which started with a touchdown and almost ended with a pretty bomb to Santana Moss. The defense annoyed me with it's 'bend but don't break' style.

After the game I enjoyed reading the many articles praising Jason Campbell. The Skins were looking at 3-0 going into their bye week.





Week 3 - vs Giants

But it wasn't to be. This game still ticks me off. First, why do we have Troy Aikman in the booth? As a Cowboy responsible for three of their Superbowl wins, I don't want to hear him at any Redskin game, especially Redskin/Cowboy games.

Second, the second half was awful. Besides an interception and the drive at the end, the team couldn't do anything right. The 'bend but don't break' thing broke, and the offense couldn't get a single first down until they lost the lead. The evil Bill Simmons would call this lost an "Achilles Heel" game.

(I call Simmons evil because whenever he compliments the Skins, they lose, and whenever he trashes them, they win (or not.) Before the Giants game he was ready to crown the team as one of the elite of a weak NFC. Blah.)


Ok, that takes care of September. Hopefully next time I will be able to do these at a better pace so I could make these worth reading. Of course, that depends on how well the Skins do, because I don't like posting rants or discussing depression.

No comments: