Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My memory is so bad.

When I prepare my This Week In Entertainment thing, I usually stick to the same sources to figure out what's being released during the week. I use amazon for DVD releases because they have a large selection. Sometimes too large, for I've seen weeks where they have over 400 entries and half of them are useless. (Anything that doesn't have a box cover is useless, as is anything without a description or a release date.) I use rottentomatoes.com to figure out what movies are coming to theaters, and I use gamefaqs.com for video games. (Amazon and rottentomatoes both suck for video game releases.)

That leaves music and books. As you may have guessed if you've seen my blog during July, I don't bother finding out what's coming out on cd. The only thing left is books. I do try to use amazon for that because it has a "New and Notable" section, but I don't check it often. Part of the reason is because the "New" section seems to have the same books for at least a month. Another reason is because I read so few books. I mostly read novels, and I don't care for stuff like self-help books or the latest political demagoguery. I rarely see stuff I could use like computer programming books. So I tend to skip this section.


Well, guess what? I should have kept an eye on it last month, because it may have reminded me that Terry Pratchett's latest Discworld novel was being released. "Making Money" is the follow up to "Going Postal", which was about how the leader of the Discworld's biggest city (think a city like London) forces a con man to run the post office. The plot is about how the city's elite are so corrupt that this con man is able to make the friggen post office more efficient then the new Clack Towers (the Discworld's equivalent to the Internet.) "Making Money" is suppose to star the same con man now running the mint. I love the Discworld series and Going Postal was great, so this should be a good one too. This should have been Pick of the Week during whichever week it was released.

I prefer to get paperback novels, so I probably won't get it for a while. What I'll be getting is Wintersmith, the third in a series of young adult Discworld novels about a young witch. The Tiffany Achting novels include appearances by Granny Weatherwax, my favorite Discworld character.

When I say I love the Discworld novels, I mean it. If you go back to my first non-intro post, you'll see that I had something in mind concerning the Discworld series. Sadly, I haven't given any reviews or thoughts about any of the books because I'm still not the greatest reader in the world and I have memory problems (not to mention that I try to write these entries as quickly as possible.) So I've put off talking about any of the novels. Hopefully one of the days I'll have the time to sit down and talk about "The Color of Magic" which is the first Discworld novel and the first one I read.

No comments: