Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Redskins Watch (Oct 23)

The Redskins win, and yet I feel terrible. Are we sure the Skins won that game? (And why was blogger ok with Redskins but gave me a warning for Skins? What is it accusing me of?)

I watched the whole game, unfortunately. This team has a darn good defense, but it's offense needs work. Which is what we had a couple years ago. I don't know if it's the injuries or the playcalling, but I'll blame the playcalling just to listen to my kneejerk reaction side. Frankly, I'm tired of the vanilla offense I keep seeing. This is suppose to be a Joe Gibbs team, so what is up with all these stupid short passes? The interception at the end of the half ticked me off because it was another short pass that was too much trickery for too little gain. I know the offensive line is banged up, but we should just pound the ball like the Skins are suppose to.

Even though our defense was great, we did make Kurt Warner look good, and he was injured. If it wasn't for his interceptions we would have lost the game easily. Still, the defense itself nearly gave the game away on Arizona's second scoring drive. Two REALLY dumb penalties kept the drive going. One was a late hit and the other was a taunting penalty. For the rest of the game I was grumbling about how the defense should taunt after every play just to be sure.

At the end of the game, where it was clear that our offense wasn't going to win the game for us, it made two straight dumb calls. With an eight poin lead, our enemy was the clock, yet on second and third down, the offense threw an incompletion and Portis ran out of bounds. Stupid! If we had just run the ball we could have depleted their timeouts before their final scoring drive.

I have no idea if the Cardinals have a good defense or our offense is just overrated. But I still believe that the Cardinals should be an automatic win, so this poor effort fills me with dread.

Just in time for what might turn out to be one of the greatest teams of all time. Friggen Boston teams.

No comments: