Saturday, February 17, 2007

Demo Fun #4



Today's demo is titled, "Mad Intro." Once again, it can be found in the demo section of c64.com.

Like the previous two demos, we start with an impressive looking picture. There's a giant demon in the background with the letters "PCS" above it. To the right of it is a castle, and there is a wizard in the foreground to the left. The wizard is poining at the demon and is about to blast it with some magic. There are two stairways that lead down into the ground. There are nice little details here and there.

Now on to the reliable text scroll. "Hello fans!!," it starts. Hi. The author identifies himself as Mr. Mad of the "Famous" Proceeding Crackers, aka PCS. Interesting that they put the word famous in quotes. "I was a member of KGB," he adds, this being presumably before the Soviets ran out of money. Actually, KGB is another hacking group, but Mr. Mad left and joined OCS, which then became PCS. Isn't that just fascinating!?

We learn the members of PCS (he thinks.) Teebo was formerly known as Spirit. There was Bee, Mr. Mad, Mr. Disk, Mandrake, Coca Cola Kid. Awww, one more Mr., and we would have had a group of hackers where the majority took their names from Mr. Men books.

The date that this was made is 22/6, or June 22nd to us non-Europeans. The time is 22:30. You know what that means? Mr. Mad tells us it's time for the greetings! Here we go: Swedish Frontline (Some guy named Booster is offered good luck with his Amiga), International Softwarespreading Association (Try fitting that on a Scrabble board.), The Disciples, The Dutch-USA Team (possible disk swapping friends for PCS), The Technocrats Worldwide (But mostly someone named Bonny. Mr. Mad hopes he/she remembers him.), and the rest of PCS. Phew!

Then we get a poorly formed sentence. "Today is a person from Swedish Frontline visiting Teebo, and I hope that he gets some new stuff!!" If I ever find out if Teebo was successful, I'll let you all know. Mr. Mad then asks if we have ever seen PCSs' other demos. Sorry, but I hope to. Oh! He meant KGB or OCS. Nope. Sorry. He says they are quite good. I would believe his two exclamation poins that end this sentence, but he uses two exclamation poins like a period. I'll just have to see the demos for myself one day.

Mr. Mad then addresses a group named Fairlight. Mr. Mad wishes to know if Fairlight has made any good demos lately, and wants to get his hand on all of them. I'm chuckling at the thought of Fairlight responding directly to the demo. Anyway, Mr. Mad thinks Fairlight is great. I'm sure Firelight brags about this to this very day.

Suddenly, the demo turns cruel. Or in Mr. Mad's words, "I almost forgot the F***ings!" Apparently this is the list of people that Mr. Mad doesn't like, so here we go with another list: Jonas Herdstrom (who seems to be an enemy of Mr. Mad. Jonas is described as a "bloody ass!!"), Hakan Bergli, Fupria Mitra, Mr. Good, and Mr. Best. Having let this out, Mr. Mad lets out a giggle and hopes that his audience enjoyed the F***ings. I guess this is his way of living up to his name.

Mr. Mad moves onto a more polite topic: games he likes. He likes Barbarian, Superstar Ice Hockey, Musketeers because it's an adventure, Storming Party, Ikari, Nemesis the Warlock. And he didn't have to pay a cent for any of them!

If you want to contact Mr. Mad, then write to someplace in Sweden. He also gives a number, which I'm sure if I posted would lead to an annoyed European wondering why he or she was getting phonecalls for no apparent reason. Still, Mr. Mad doesn't want me to hesitate, so maybe I should think it over.

The picture is from an old game named, "Druid." The song is Zoolook by Jean Michel Jarre. Awwww! Mr. Mad ends on a sweet note by saying he loves Sonja Maurer. Actually, I'm just hoping it's sweet, and not the sign of some sick guy who's stalking this poor gal. He then repeats her name two more times, removing the idea that it's sweet from my mind. He tells me not to forget this, but I'm going to as soon as possible. I really hope.

He asks me that the music is good, isn't it? It's ok, I guess. Mr. Mad has the original record. Phew!! Carry on, then. Have I heard the group Nitzer Ebb? Can't say I have. They are quite good, which makes them as good as Jarre in Mr. Mad's opinion. However, the best group is Front 242. Well, duh. They earn a marvelous rating. "All Disco and heavy metal can go to hell!! Synth is best!! I'm looking through Sonja's mail!!" Oh wait, I added that last part. Heavy metal made Mr. Mad doubt his ears. That's how crappy it was. Wow! We learn that it drove him crazy. I'm so glad to know the secret origins of Mr. Mad. Heavy metal? More like gossip!

Enough of that. He wants to know our opinion of his first demo. Well, it's long, even with one screen. Mad thinks that the text scrolls too fast, but I've seen worst offenders of that rule. Since Mr. Mad is a dork, he tells us the byte address to find his real life address. PCS really wants a lot of pen pals.

Mr. Mad still isn't finished. He doesn't intend to stop, and informs us that it's now 22:58. Isn't it way past his bedtime? We are next informed that Bee has ripped some tunes out of a couple games, which I'm sure we'll here in a future demo. (Actually, I just assumed that, but when I resumed the demo, Mad confirmed that very fact. Huh.) Bee is really good at ripping. He's ripped five tunes already. There's a list of the games he's taken those from but I'm not typing it.

Finally, finally Mr. Mad says good bye. The demo ends with some random text and finally an infinite number of dots scrolling by.

Next week, I think I'll do a number of shorter demos.


Stats:

Date - June 22, 1987
Scrolling text - standard.
Font - It seems to be the same font used by ESI in Demo Fun #1.
Europeans - Yep.
Bragging about Accomplishments - Yep.
Putting other hackers down - Yep.
Listing a ton of other nerds - Yep.
Harsh language - yes, two instances of one word of the f variety
Song - 6/10 - not bad but I've already forgotten it

No comments: