Thursday, February 15, 2007

Musical CDs that I own

In case you don't know who I am, I have to make a confession. I have never really gotten into the music industry. I never had any favorite genre, and I don't listen to the radio for music.

Now, I'm not completely ignorant about music. My mom and dad used to listen to the oldies station when I was a kid, and they still listen to adult contemporary when we carpool. Still, I know very little about artists, bands, song titles, and albums. I may know a popular song if you sing a little bit of it, but that doesn't mean I know which band performed it or even what the song's name is.

It was kind of odd when I realized that I stood out. One year it wasn't a big deal who liked what, then the next year there were cliques based solely around it. Especially in the eighth grade, where my class seemed to be divided between rap and alternative rock. (Kurt Cobain was still alive at the time, but dies before we graduated.)

I'm being honest when I say that I feel awkward and uncomfortable in a music store. Still, that doesn't mean I don't have music CDs. I just don't have that many. So here's the majority if not all the CDs I own.


Clowns in the Sky - This is the album made up of many songs that were sung on Mystery Science Theater 3000. It's got many of the classic songs from seasons 1-7, from both the Joel and early Mike eras. I wish there were a few more songs, like the Sidehackers song from the movie of the same name, but it's still a great collection. Unlike...

Clowns in the Sky II - This album is ok, but they released it too early in the shows history. They really should have waited until after the show was over so they could have a few more choice entries.

Dr. Demento 25th Anniversary - Boy, is this nerdy. I originally got this cd only because it had The Curly Shuffle on it since I'm such a Stooge fan. I did eventually listen to the other songs, and there are some fun ones. This cd introduced me to Weird Al (I wish I had heard of Smell Like Teen Spirit when those alternative rock kids were gushing about Cobain.) It also introduced me to Benny Bell, who wrote two songs in the fifty that are kind of dirty and are very funny. It's nice to own a TMBG song, even if it's not Istanbul. Not all the songs are great, but I think it's hard to listen to several novelty songs back to back without becoming numb to them.

Strong Bad Sings and Other Type Hits - I had to get this cd since I'm such a big fan of Homestar Runner. Songs like the long version of Trogdor, The Cheat is Not Dead, and Everybody to the Limit definitely make the CD worth it. However, since the CD is sorta based on an old cartoon making fun of album commercials, this cd does come with quite a few filler songs based on that cartoon. I like the cheap look of the CD, and the CD contains a hidden cartoon.

Joshua Tree - This is the only "real" album that I own. I got it partially because my friends enjoy U2, especially Lita. I was actually shocked to learn that I actually heard of one of these songs before. (I Still Haven't Found...) Besides that song I also really enjoy With Or Without You. I have the Joshua Tree DVD around here somewhere. I should get more U2 albums.


That's it for my collection. As for my parents collection of records, I was only interested in a handful when I was a kid. I liked the two albums we had that contained songs from all of Jim Hensons shows and movies. My parents had the aforementioned Curly Shuffle which I really liked. And the song I probably liked most as a kid? GHOSTBUSTERS!

God, I'm glad I use a pseudonym for this blog.

2 comments:

The Mickey said...

You haven't heard Crazy Cow Therapist or Venkish the Vicious's cover of White and Nerdy? I weep for you.....

wurwolf said...

Ugh... the Curly Shuffle. Your parents should be ashamed of themselves for owning that. I'll bet they have copies of Disco Duck and the Monster Mash, too.