Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Recurring Emails I Get

I was going to post my thoughts on the latest Bond film, but that wasn't going anywhere. Luckily, an email I got today has provided me with a backup topic to type words about. Here's some more words.

So today I got an email from Amazon.com. It was advertising the many video games based on the soon to be released, "Meet the Robinsons", by Disney. I was wondering why the heck I should care until I read the first line of the email.

As someone who has purchased kids games you might like to know that "Disney's Meet the Robinsons" is available for pre-order.


WHA?! "Someone who has purchased kids games"? What are they implying? It makes me sound like a pervert who spends most of the time writing erotic fanfics about underaged cartoon characters. Then I realized that I had recently purchased "Lego Star Wars" for the Game Cube. Usually when I get emails from Amazon, it's for Discworld books because I once bought "Witches Abroad" from the site.

Anyway, Amazon isn't the only website that regularly sends me emails. Here's a few more (I'm not including spam):


Sci Fi Weekly - I registered for the SciFi Dominion bboards way back in 2000, maybe even late 1999. I did it so I could post on the MST3k board. This is where I came up with the user name that I now use for this blog. When I originally signed up, I used one of my dads email addresses which I never checked. Sometime in 2001-2002, I finally changed it to my then yahoo email address. This is the oldest reoccuring email that I've received. I use to skim through the email for something interesting but now I all but skip them. SciFi Channel and the Duh hasn't been that interesting since they shut down the MST3k board.

Bravenet - I have a website, but I don't add anything to it anymore. It's mostly an archive for an rpg that I and my friends wrote. I always thought I could use the site to learn about html, but I was too lazy to do so. Back in the early days I signed up for Bravenet services so I could have a counter for my site. The bravenet updates include hints for html stuff, but I have yet to sit down and read one. I keep telling myself that I'll read the next one, but it's been about five years now.

Freefind.com - FreeFind is the free search engine I use for my site. This is a weekly email that tells me what words were typed into the search engine and tells me that my site was spidered. I usually skip this email because my site isn't visited that much.

Cafepress.com - I've only bought one thing from this site. One year for Christmas I bought a tshirt for my friend Lita. Somehow, the order got screwed up and she got two, but she was able to keep both while I got refunded for one. Now they don't even sell those shirts anymore. CafePress emails usually advertise the latest annoying political shirts or tshirts based on whatever the upcoming holiday is. I still may buy another shirt from that site.

Hallmark.com - You know those e-greeting cards? I still get emails from Hallmark since the day I sent one during a Valentine's Day. I don't know why I don't just ask to be left off the list. Anyway, Hallmark emails probably talk about flowers and cards, but I don't read them.

Ancestry.com - I don't get these anymore, but for a while I was looking up information about a dancer who I have a crush on. I was googling like crazy and found a few of those sites that promise you to find the family trees and other dirt on people. I forgot why I signed up to ancestry.com, but it never gave me anything. It wanted money and I wasn't willing to pay. I eventually got myself off the list.

Namesdatabase.com - Same deal, only it was one of those "find out about your old classmates!" sites. I screwed up and signed my name for Tad Tadlock's school instead of mine, so I spent my whole time trying to delete my account. I wonder if there was any people born in the 30s who was wondering when the heck I went to their school.

Nintendo.com - I can't remember why I originally signed up for Nintendo.com. Maybe I saw a thread about Earthbound and decided to throw something in. However, later that year Nintendo had an offer for a Zelda Collection GC game for those who buy a couple other Nintendo games. I bought those games and was able to get the Zelda Collection game. In exchange, I now get regular updates about the twos of threes of games that Nintendo releases each month.

YouTube.com - I first registered for a youtube account during June of last year just to post a couple of Tad's famous public domain shorts. Then I realized that I could post videos of video game endings. Then I got the bright idea of just playing through an entire game and posting everything in ten minute intervals. Now I have over 100 subscriptions and over 250000 video views, so I spend every day looking at emails alerting me to new comments. Luckily not everybody is an anime nerd. The sucky part is that these email alerts don't contain the comments that get posted to youtube, so you have to go and open up the movie just to see what someone said. Sometimes the comments haven't even appeared yet. It often makes me feel bad because I don't want to inflate my own view count.

eBay - These are a lot like the Amazon emails, but I don't think eBay keeps track of you in the way Amazon does.

codeproject.com - I signed up to this site originally because I was in desperate need of some code for a project that I was working on. The emails contain links to project descriptions but I ignore them and have yet to sit down and read one. This is the only email I catch in a yahoo filler, for some reason.

Toywiz.com - I bought a Jaws Poster (in 3D!) from this site for my friend Rimmi and I'm now getting update emails like from cafepress. Too bad the Caps suck because I could probably buy an Ovechkin figurine from this site.

paypal.com - I have a paypal account, but these emails make me nervous.



Update: Title edited to remove dumb spelling error.

1 comment:

wurwolf said...

RECURRING

You can unsubscribe to stuff, you know.