Wednesday, July 11, 2007

E3 for the Big N



Do I need to go further then this?

Anyway, I listened to the Nintendo presentation today and watched some of it when I thought I could get away with it. Here's what I remember.

It started with spokesman Reggie talking about how awesome video games are and how this bar graph shows how great Nintendo is, blah blah blah. It was surprising that Nintendo started this way, since last year they brought out that nerdy guy and made him wave the Wii remote like a baton and got the crowd excited. It seemed like Nintendo was content to just state it's business plan this year.

Whenever Nintendo took a half minute break, they showed a lot of clips from the news or online of people enjoying the Wii. Kinda neat, I guess, but not really what nerds are looking for.

After that, we get to our first product, the Wii Zap-PAH! I think that's how it was pronounced, anyway. Instead of the gun shaped thing showed the previous year, it seems like Nintendo made a casing that turns the Wii remote and nunchuck into a smaller Super Scope. See above picture for the awesomeness.

Speaking of accesories, they also mentioned a steering wheel. That was for the next, inevitable Mario Kart game. It's online, so I can't wait for my friend Lita to pick up a Wii. I'm not sure if she's a Mario Kart fan but I could totally kick her butt at the game anyway.

Speaking of online, Reggie starts to talk about Nintendo's rep for not embracing online. Actually, he basically dodges the past and poins out the DS online success, and shows a bunch of future online Wii games. Madden 08 and some online soccer game are mentioned, as is Super MArio Strikers, which I might keep an eye on. I think Super Smash Bros. Brawl is online and so is some FPS.

The first eye bulger is when Super Smash Bros Brawl is given a Dec 3 release date. PLEASE HAVE NESS!!!

Then Zelda for the DS is shown. I'm sure it'll be good, but I don't like the idea of playing an action game entirely with a stencil.

Some babe from some nerdy online blog gets to demonstrate Metroid Prime 3, a must-have on my list. I couldn't watch at this poin, darn it, although what I saw made it look like she was having problems. They said she could change her visor, and she didn't, and they cut her off before she could fight some enemies, or something.

Wii Guitar Hero was announced (online too) and it has a guitar specially made for the Wii remote. I'm too shy to play this game in the stores and it's too expensive for me so I'll probably avoid it even if I heard that they had the Trogdor song on one of the editions.

Another thing about Mario Kart? Online battle mode. I LOVED battle mode in the original Mario Kart. My sister and I used to divide the arena in half and launch banana peels at each other while staying on our sides.

Super Mario Galaxy also got a release date, some time in November. I hope that game is much better then Super MArio Sunshine. Right now it looks good but I don't like the way you run under planets. I hope the controls make sense.

Some game (Mario Picross DS?) was dated for my birthday.

The big event at the end was ........ Wii Fit! Nintendo is taking advantage of the hype about Wii making people get up and are going to introduce a game that uses a scale that you stand on. It can detect your weight and the way you shift your body. It measures your BMI over time like Wii Sports measures your whatever age. That thing is going to sale like hotcakes. MMmm, hotcakes.


Hmm, I wish I took notes while it was going on. Instead of poking some fun while giving my thoughts, this just sounds like nerdy shilling. Oh well.

Afterwards, a lot of nerds complained on comment sections everywhere. Welcome to the internet, Web 2.0!

3 comments:

wurwolf said...

Can I just take you to task for not knowing the difference between "then" and "than"? It's really distracting.

From Dictionary.com:

then:
–adverb
1. at that time: Prices were lower then.
2. immediately or soon afterward: The rain stopped and then started again.
3. next in order of time: We ate, then we started home.
4. at the same time: At first the water seemed blue, then gray.
5. next in order of place: Standing beside Charlie is my uncle, then my cousin, then my brother.
6. in addition; besides; also: I love my job, and then it pays so well.
7. in that case; as a consequence; in those circumstances: If you're sick, then you should stay in bed.
8. since that is so; as it appears; therefore: You have, then, found the mistake? You are leaving tonight then.
–adjective
9. being; being such; existing or being at the time indicated: the then prime minister.
–noun
10. that time: We have not been back since then. Till then, farewell.
—Idioms
11. but then, but on the other hand: I found their conversation very dull, but then I have different tastes.
12. then and there, at that precise time and place; at once; on the spot: I started to pack my things right then and there. Also, there and then.

than
–conjunction
1. (used, as after comparative adjectives and adverbs, to introduce the second member of an unequal comparison): She's taller than I am.
2. (used after some adverbs and adjectives expressing choice or diversity, such as other, otherwise, else, anywhere, or different, to introduce an alternative or denote a difference in kind, place, style, identity, etc.): I had no choice other than that. You won't find such freedom anywhere else than in this country.
3. (used to introduce the rejected choice in expressions of preference): I'd rather walk than drive there.
4. except; other than: We had no choice than to return home.
5. when: We had barely arrived than we had to leave again.
–preposition
6. in relation to; by comparison with (usually fol. by a pronoun in the objective case): He is a person than whom I can imagine no one more courteous.

Anonymous said...

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a psychiatric disorder most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive, distressing, intrusive thoughts and related compulsions (tasks or "rituals") which attempt to neutralize the obsessions. Thus it is an anxiety disorder.
Symptoms may include some, all, or perhaps none of the following:

1. Repeated hand-washing.
Repeated clearing of the throat, although nothing may need to be cleared.
2. Specific counting systems—e.g. counting in groups of four, arranging objects in groups of three, grouping objects in odd/even numbered groups, etc.
One serious symptom which stems from this is "counting" steps, e.g. feeling the necessity to take twelve steps to the car in the morning.
3. Perfectly aligning objects at complete, absolute right angles, or aligning objects perfectly parallel etc.
4. Making it ones job to teach 5th grade grammer.

wurwolf said...

Shush, you.