Sunday, July 15, 2007

Music Video #15


Tonight's video is about Johnny Cash, who is best known for the episode of Columbo where he was the murderer. It's called Hurt and can be found here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9dbmJ_2zU . It's four minutes long.


Man, if I had the ability to cry, I would. So I'll just be a little depressed.

The video is about a very old Cash singing about how little he has now that he's old. Oh sure, he has stuff, but since he's old it doesn't mean much.

His voice sounds different, softer. It certainly doesn't sound like the same guy who sang Ring of Fire or tried to throw Columbo off the trail.

Hey, wait a minute! I just started listening again, and the first thing out of his mouth is some emo "I hurt to see if I feel" crap. Seeing how this song was written by the NIN guy, they could have changed those dumb lyrics. And who uses a needle to hurt themselves? I think Trent was trying to do two things at once and got confused.

The rest of the song is ok, except for the crown of thorns line. Was it really necessary to add the Christ imagary to the video?

The video has Cash singing the song sitting in a room full of food, gold statues, and a broken record here and there. There's many flashbacks to his career, and even to home videos of him and his wife. I'm sure if this video hadn't been made, these very same clips would have been used in a much more upbeat tribute after his death.

The part where Cash pours the wine out over the table is the saddest part.

Lita, how dare you try to make me feel emotion!

2 comments:

wurwolf said...

I will agree with you there. It is a very sad video.

Lita said...

You spend this whole month accusing every song of being about drugs and then you come to an actual drug reference and you have no idea what he's talking about?

Tork, I do believe you have been using some sort of non-needle-type device to inject copious amounts of drugs into yourself.

And yes. The video is very sad.