Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Music Video #3


Today's video is by someone I've heard of. David Bowie is best known for his works in Labyrinth the movie and Omikron the video game. This video is called China Girl and it's just over four minutes.

The video can currently be found here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSfndZfKFNU

Ok, so I just watched it. There's some Chinese girl, and David Bowie sings about and to her. At some poin she morphs into BATTLE ARMOR chinese girl, and they kiss while the world revolves around them. Then they have sex on the beach. Barb wire book end the video.

The lady at the beginning looks like a pale, pink Madonna. (Not the singer.)

I had to say, it was funny when the oriental music started, but I was really surprised when Bowie slanted his eyes with his fingers. The eighties were a different time.

Ooooooh! Burn on you, Marlon Brando!

I thought the whole video was just a lovey-dovey song to the China Girl, but halfway through it turns black and white and mentions swastikas. I guess the video is trying to mean something now.

Ok, so he's afraid that if he stays with the China Girl, he'll ruin her. He'll give her a (GASP!) tv! And blue eyes!...somehow. Thankfully she tells him to shut up before I'm forced to use the phrase white guilt.

Bowie seems a bit thin in the face and he has a haircut that reminds me of Mike Nelson's early years of hosting MST3k.

There seems to be a lot of stuff that means something, like the barb wire, the people walking down the street, the woman running with a red flag, and the two guys who make the China Girl stand up, but I don't know enough about China in the early 80s. All I know about China in that decade happened towards the end.

The awesome thing about this video is Bowie's sweet dancing moves towards the beginning while the China Girl's big head is superimposed on the video. Critter and Michelle are lame compared to these two.



2 comments:

Lita said...

This video is, of course, awesome because David Bowie is in it.

I also like this video because I always thought the line was:

I'll give you television
I'll give you eyes of blue
I'll give you Mallomars to rule the world


Obviously I'm totally wrong about that last line. I mean, what does that even mean? I doubt I could rule the world with Mallomars even if I had a LOT of them. I like it though so I still sing it that way.

Today is the Fourth of July. Have some CAKE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C68Gzd5GM

The naughty word is censored to preserve Tork's delicate virgin ears.

wurwolf said...

David Bowie, you only have one blue eye! You can't afford to be giving out blue eyes. Crazy.