Sunday, July 1, 2007

Music Video #1: Let Forever Be

Ok, let's do this thing. Today's video is called Let forever Be. Despite that it's only 3:46 minutes long. Also, someone should get fired for that grammar error. The band is The Chemical Brothers, who I think I saw in a freaky rom hack of a Super Mario Bros. game.

The video can be found here at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJyHEhdszDg.



Ok, now I've watched it. The video reminds me of that photo commecial where photos blend into other video scenes, or vice versa. I might have seen an mp3 player that had a similar visual premise. Anyway, this video is far more ambitious then the photo commercial.

The video is about a red head who walks around and turns into six red-heads walking around. Half the time she is waking up or going to sleep, the other times she's lying on a hexagonal podium thingie with stairs. I like her short haircut.

The music is slow and soothing, despite the fact that it keeps asking questions. Hey, she was just sleeping! I'm never functional until the late afternoon, so I would hate if people were to start asking me how could I have done something after I woke up.

Ok, so I just looked at the lyrics posted by some youtube user. The questions were about how could it feel. I would still be too tired, but maybe this woman is more alert in the morning then me. Of course, I don't have the power to fracture reality and morph into six women.

One of things that stands out is that the woman isn't very good at being in sync with herself. At first I was going to joke about the dancers not practicing, but they may have just had the one woman dance several times over, and she couldn't do it the same way every time. Or maybe it was done on purpose.

I still like her haircut.

The only Chemical Brother in the video is presumably the Hagrid-ish drummer. I guess if anybody is going to have a long beard, it's going to be the drummer.

Man, the most nightmarish part of the video is when there's a ton of alarm clocks. I hate alarm clocks.

Judging from the lyrics, which I had to look up, and the visuals, I guess this video is about a woman tripping. I guess. It would explain her suddenly going from shining on people to ending up in the gutter so quickly. Although my idea of tripping is not going to the mall and buying candles and standing in front of a test pattern. (My conclusion may be way off and if it is I was probably biased by the band's name. If that's the case, this is going to be a fun month for you, the reader.)

Anyway, the "fractured reality" visuals in the video are neat, and I'll take it over those videos that have a million cuts per second.

One last view of the video shows that some of the women are different sizes. Maybe they are more then one person. How does it feel like not to rehearse, ladies?

2 comments:

Lita said...

It's harder to tell on a low-quality YouTube video, but if you were watching it on your TV it would be easy to tell that the dancing girls are all different women. They don't even look much alike other than the red wigs and costumes.

They are a little out of sync, but I believe that is not a bug, but a feature. If you watch many music videos you will find that tight and militaristic dance routines are the norm. I find the unpolished and low-tech aspects of this video to be kind of charming.

You forgot to go for the bonus question: Why the Hell does Lita Like This? Maybe it's self-evident.

I have a (non-sexual) thing for clones.

Here's a link to video #2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWUil383us4

Blur - Coffee and TV

You don't have to answer the bonus question for this one. If you don't get why it's awesome, I can't help you.

The Mickey said...

Let Forever Be was of course part of the Chemical Brothers; "Satisfy Noel Gallagher's Beatle fetish" suite, a profitable era for the band. One would think with Oasis's current stae of affairs, he'd complete the trilogy.


I had a thought while watching this video....the director is the same guy who did Hardest Button to Button, which features the same drums appearing on beat trick. Also, he directed Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground and that new Paul McCartney video, and they both feature that over projected ghost party in a house trick. What a hack! Damn french hack!