Sunday, July 29, 2007

Music Video #28


Today's video marks the return of Gorillaz. Let's hope the imagary they use is less creepy then an anime girl/boy thing dancing with a severed head. It's called Clint Eastwood and it's four minutes long.

Ok, so the plus side is there is no severed head. Anyway, I assume we get the entire band in their anime forms onscreen as they start their song. The ugliest among them is naturally the singer, so we'll spend most of the video with him. He sings the refrain a few times, about how he's feeling glad and how he's going to not be uselesss in the future. I guess he's a slacker or something. At one poin the above photo happens, which made me consider bailing for a second. Suddenly the big drummer turns into a blue ghost and starts rapping.

Oh wait, the ghost comes out of the drummer's hat. The ghost boast and brags, because that's what rappers do. The ghost is out of the cage and...I'm not sure. I'm having problems following what the ghost is saying. He seems to be the type of rapper who add rhymes just because he could. At one poin he pounds the ground and starts an earthquake which head towards Gorillaz. It stops just at ugly's feet.

The refrain plays while we see a graveyard jump out of the ground. I like the animation of the thunderstorm and graveyard better than the animation for the band.

Zombie arms shoot out of the earth. One grabs one of the band member's crotches and pulls him to the ground. Ouchie. The second verse is sang while gorillas shoot out of the ground. Zombie gorillas, probably. The ghost talks about how rhythm is in everything. I think it's rhythm. The gorillas get together and dance, probably a reference to Thriller. Disturblingly, the gorillas have pink nipples. Some Gorillaz gets strucked by lightning. Meanwhile the ghost seems to have become a revolutionary or something and raps about seeing corruption everywhere. The ghost mentions someone named Russ, so I guess they're best buds. The ghost and Russ are going to hang out and rap and probably spit spree onto the sidewalk to make art.

Totally not paying attention, the ugly kid sings the refrain again. Some new kid in red skips along happily until he jumps at a gorilla and kicks him in the face. Soon all the zombillas are defeated. So is the ghost, who goes back into the hat of the drummer. One of the gorillas fades into blood and muscle, then bones, before disappearing, which is one last nightmarish image for the road.

It's daytime now. The video ends by giving the names of the band members. Russ turns out to be the drummer. Ah. I guess hiding in someone's hat is a kind of hanging out.

The song is ok, even if someone as dense as me can't figure it out. The video is better when there aren't any living things in it.

I'm not really sure why this song is called CLint Eastwood, unless it's a tribute to him for the Anywhich Way You Can/Every Which Way But Loose monkey movies.

2 comments:

Lita said...

...

Ok. This video goes as far as to tell you the names of everybody in the band, and you still don't know who they are. I just don't know about you, Tork.

Also, Noodle, the one in red, is female. Just like she was in the last video. I told you that then, too.

"The gorillas get together and dance, probably a reference to Thriller."

This is just... You know, I almost put Thriller on your video list before this one, just to make sure you got the reference, but then I was like, "Nah. Tork has led a sheltered life, but even he isn't clueless enough not to get a Thriller reference. Even my dad would probably get a Thriller reference. There's already a Michael Jackson song on the list; I won't insult Tork's intelligence." Clearly your intelligence needed insulting.

"Some Gorillaz gets strucked by lightning."
Part of the English teacher inside me died when I read that. Thanks.

And the song is called Clint Eastwood because the tune that plays is the one that's in a lot of his old westerns.




Buh. You know, I was going to give you the nice Weezer video with all the cute fluffy baby animals, or maybe the one with the Playboy bunnies, but now I think you're getting this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba_NNKyUwEE

The Mickey said...

Don't be too hard on Torrk Lita. Noodle hit puberty before the second album.

My word verification is suptwk.


'Sup, Twk?