Friday, July 20, 2007

Music Video #20



Today's video is a return to Cake. Here they sing about Jolene. Get ready of four and a half minutes of second helpings. It can be found here at the url I'm about to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W92VXNHUf4

Huh. I'm not sure how well I'll do describing the video. It seems rather random, until the end where Cake plays at a concert. The only theme I got was some random office related stuff, like an obvious secretary sitting on a desk taking notes. All throught the song someone is playing a guitar.

The lyrics are about Jolene. After listening a couple times and looking at the lyrics, I'm wondering if Cake should have added another verse. Here's what we learn about Jolene:

1) She's unlocked some door a hundred times.
2) The singer wants her in bed.
3) She smells like a cream rinse and tobacco.
4) Always.
5) Her father's snores convinced her she could do something more.
6) She heard some singing and went to the forest in the night.

The singer is singing about a woman who smells but he doesn't care because he really wants her. She has a boring life but she just had a revelation and she's now going to wander off alone. Darwinism will probably follow. I made up the last sentence.

So the video itself mixes images of office scenes, guitar playing, and one of the member's of Cake playing that guitar while singing. There's other stuff, but I don't think I can describe it chronologically. And the video doesn't seem to show any woman who we can assume is Jolene.

The song is ok, but not as memorable as Sheep Go To Heaven. The video confuses me, but maybe I'm just expecting something when I shouldn't.

2 comments:

Lita said...

"The singer" in this case is John McCrea. How many CAKE videos are we going to have to do before you notice that?

I like it that the hook of this song is pretty much, "Wow, I really want to get with you... but you smell so bad..." Also, it reminds me of when this one MSTie who won't be named here (ask me elsewhere if you're curious) told me she wanted to write a horrible Mystery Science fanfic with Joel as a girl and his name was "Jolene." (She wasn't planning to make it horrible, I just knew it would be.)

I guess this song isn't as memorable as, say, Rock n' Roll Lifestyle from the same album (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEG2YMAQgs), but I still like it a lot.

Geez. I should have made you do Rock N' Roll Lifestyle. That song is great. Damn. Too many great songs and only 31 days!

Anyway, the videos for the songs from this album (Motorcade of Generosity) don't really have much to do with anything and are pretty low budget. The reason is most likely that it was CAKE's first album and they were still pretty much just a bunch of poor people in Sacramento. It's a damn good album. I'd make you watch videos for the whole thing if I could. Go buy it now. Seriously. wurwolf will back me up on this.

Ok. Your new video has been imported from Canada!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7X1ZoYq3k
This video won a lot of awards. Canadian awards! And there's even a pretty girl in this video. She's probably Canadian!

Tork said...

Prettier then the blonde in the Rockefeller Skank video?