Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Music Video #10


Today's video is by Beck, who is some kind of robot guy according to Futurama. I figure that's why Lita picked him anyway. The song is called Where It's At, which is hopefully not Greece or Japan. We have 3 and a half minutes that can be found here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uQ9W4KexnA .


Ok, I just watched it and it starts off with convicts picking up trash. Then Beck sings and the scene shifts to a stage next to the street and then it gets weird with a belly dancer and forest background. After a couple skips in a meadow, the music video ends with a hoedown. Camera work by Verne Troyer.

Beck sings fast so I'm going to have to watch this several times. Ok, first verse, he's sticking it to the Man by not picking up trash and singing about some destination. It's some place away from town where people go to dance and drink. It even has two turntables!

Ok, so for some reason a robot voice came out of a stick robot with a glowing human brain. And then there's some belly dancer. I guess the next verses will amend these things to the list of what is at where it's at.

Elevator bones? What the heck are those? I'm looking at the lyrics and the context suggest a vehicle but that doesn't seem right at all. I guess it fits with the sudden shift in the video to the surreal pirate Beck in a forest. Anyway, after some stuff I can't understand, Beck mentions more stuff about what it's like to be at the where it's at place. He mentions passing a dutchie, because all bands eventually do and or promote drugs. It's one of those rebel by being a conformist thing.

Oh, the place where Beck sings during the refrain seems to be in a parking lot in front of a store. So people wanting to get to the Home Depot have to get around him.

Next up is a couple skipping through a meadow. I failed to mention earlier that they have the multiple boxes effect like in The Hulk.

Now Beck is wearing a tuxedo. And his voice is all synthesize, making him hard to listen to! Whee! Oh, he's just repeating the first verse. I guess we arrived at Where It's At Land. Which is the hoedown place. What a letdown, although if this is the kind of music they have at hoedowns maybe my opinions on them is wrong.

GAH! A guy holding orange peels in front of his eyes pops out of nowhere!

Ok, I've missed this in previous music videos so I better type it now before I forget, but the reason why Lita posted it is because there's a couple clones of Beck when he's wearing a tuxedo. (It's a riff on Shatner's Rocketman thing, meaning it's another drug reference.)

I wish I didn't suck at hearing lyrics because I'm sure I would enjoy the song more. The video could have used less hoeing down and surreal forest king pirate and more belly dancers.









3 comments:

Lita said...

You think all these songs are about drugs. You have some kind of fixation or something.

Tork: The only person on the planet who fully expects the lyrics of all the songs he hears to make sense. Beck tends to throw in lots of seemingly random phrases into his songs. Some make more sense than others. If it doesn't make sense to you, don't sweat it.

There wasn't a specific awesome thing about that video. I just like it. There was no clone connection. I get the feeling you didn't like it, which is too bad since it's a classic. Philistine.

New song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1WdRfI9yZs

The Mickey said...

Dude! Check your Becktionary! Geez!

wurwolf said...

For shame, Torrk.