Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Music Video #17


Today's video marks the return of David Bowie. Here he teams up with a Queen. They are both "Under Pressure" to make a four minute long video.

It can be found here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdaHCLlBkWU .


Wait, was that the music they use in Ice, Ice, Baby? Yikes. Vanilla Ice and M.C. Hammer stole their beats from other sources!

Anyway, the video is a sum of many parts. Some parts seem to show work related stuff, which I guess lead to the social change footage. This is mixed with footage from old horror movies. I recognized the Screaming Skull at one poin. Also there's a brief montage of collapsing buildings.

Anyway the song starts with people shuffling around after work. This is mixed with a woman screaming, which I find comical. I think it's suppose to show how rough work is and how it makes you want to scream, but I think it was overdone. As the video goes on, we go from modern workers leaving work to turn of the century people barely making it. However, the song doesn't seem to be about how better off we are now. It seems to be about people who are stressed out by their jobs and are about to snap. Cue montage of buildings of collapsing. Right now I can't help but think of some dumb conspiracy theories, but I'll avoid making jokes about them.

But wait, here's David Bowie telling us that it's ok. Thank goodness! I'll go now. Except the video isn't over. Anyway, today sucks, blow some steam, tomorrow might be better.

I guess when I said turn of the century, I meant great depression. Oh well. Everyone knows that life on earth sucked for all of history up to the invention of the video game. It still sucks, but now we have a wonderous invention that distracts us from the suckiness. Ahem.

Go cops! You beat up those hippies!

In the montage of old horror films, I also see The Beast of Yucca Flats attacking a woman. There's also the most ridiculous looking spider monster ever. I think it has a bat face.

I think this is the first song with Queen I've heard that doesn't involve immortals or sports.

I like the montage of horror movies. It doesn't have to do with anything, but it's the best part of the video. I say more old films and less hippies!

2 comments:

wurwolf said...

I remember watching this video on MTV. It was the first time I had ever seen Nosferantu. I remember that image striking me the most. Creepy!

Lita said...

I picked this song because I wanted to share an awesome Queen song, but then I couldn't decide which one because they did lots of awesome songs and then I remembered there was one with David Bowie in it and it got stuck in my head. So there you are.