Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Video Game #19: Monster Party

I get 10 minutes with this one.

The game skips introducing any developers or anything and cuts straight to the title screen, as seen here. Various scary monsters walk through!


A big mean spider!!


A reverse-centaur!


A deep fried prawn?

Next comes the intro story which is super long, so I'll just cut out any non-essential pictures. Text from the game is in bold italics. Any other stuff is me.

saw a bright star.

The beauty of the star made his eyes moist, so he didn't notice
that the star fell and landed right in front of him.

Totally understandable.

"I'm Bert!"

He looks like a Bert.

It might start getting a little confusing from here. Just because a new line of dialogue starts, doesn't mean the speaker changed. I don't know. I didn't write this.

"What's up?"
"I'm looking for help."
"Evil monsters are out of control in my world."
"Come and help me."
"I'm afraid to fight the evil monsters."
"Don't worry!"
"With your weapon, you'll be able to destroy them easily."
"This isn't a weapon, it's a bat!"

...Beats me.
"Mark,my planet is dangerous." [sic]

You just told him not to worry since he has a bat.

"So,we must act together."

I love it.


Well! This certainly looks like it will be a wholesome family adventure!


After all this you finally get control of Mark. He can jump and he can hit things with his bat and that's about it. The faces on the background are pretty cute.

Yes... Those are somebody's naked legs sticking out of the ground. I don't know how he came to be in this predicament.

Best thing to do when you get to these things is smack them in the knees with your bat until they disappear.

Hey! Let's see what's in that door! (The big pink mouth)

Hi!

Turns out he was only pretending to be nice. He killed me.


I got killed by a flower.

Let's continue!


Sometimes when you kill guys they'll drop a powerup that will let you turn into Bert!


Bert is way cooler than Mark in every way. Not only can he fly, but he shoots fireballs so you don't have to be right up next to a dude to hurt it. Bert should have skipped merging with Mark and just saved his country himself.

Sometimes when you check a room it's just a big waste of time. Doesn't stop them from turning on the scary music when you get in there, though.

My condolences.

I'm still gonna smack the hell out of your corpse, though, and for my efforts be rewarded with some variety of random powerup!


See? Like that. (Actually you're killing the fly that was hovering above the corpse.)

Moving on. Eventually we get to this big tree thing. I took a picture because it's kind of neat looking. Reminds me of a gyroid of sorts.

Suddenly things go all crazy!!!

My gyroid friend! What's wrong??

AHHHHH!!!!!!!!

This game is so weird.

The gameplay is pretty much the same from here, just gorier. You still walk around hitting guys with your bat.


He says that just before trying to kill you. Jerk. I killed him right back.

I didn't get far past that before a combination of death and the timer going off stopped me.

Overall I liked this game. I could imagine having a lot of fun with it back in the day... except I'd have been eight or nine years old back then and it probably would have scared me with all the blood and stuff. I think an older me would have rented it and then blown a whole weekend playing the thing. Good work, game!

2 comments:

wurwolf said...

Man, what is with Torrk giving you the homoerotic games lately? That boy is messed up.

Tork said...

This game I first read about in a book. It's so weird that I thought I would make it the token weird game. It'd be more fun if it wasn't so hard to bat objects back at monsters. I find that the game is more doable after the first level.

For fun, find the ending at youtube or somewhere.