Monday, August 18, 2008

Video Game #17: Animaniacs (Genesis Version)

I specify the console because while there was an Animaniacs game for the SNES, from what little I've seen it looked very different from this one.





...Yeah. I don't know. The "story" screens were really messed up in a lot of ways that made them hard to follow. Mainly flicker, but also bad writing.



Animaniacs was a great show. I once passed a geography test on South America in high school because I remembered the song on Animaniacs about Lake Titicaca. (It's between Bolivia and Peru.)

I don't know about this screen, though. Poor Dot looks kind of drunk. Brace yourself for more inane story.


Nothing lovely about it. Unless you're using the word "lovely" as code for "shitty."



Is that anything like a hip hop culture shop?


Guh. This is only a tiny peek at the graphical weirdness of the story screens. Most of the horrible doesn't carry over to screen shots.

The plot is stupid. Let's get to the game finally.

You play as the Warner family. You can switch between Yakko, Wakko, or Dot. Each one has his or her own strengths to bring to the table. This first level, the one that Tork gave me 11 and a half (?) minutes to beat, is pretty much there to help you get the hang of those individual skills. It takes five seconds to get through if you know what you're doing. Maybe 10 seconds if you don't.


If I'm remembering correctly, this big fat guy is supposed to be the CEO of Warner Brothers. Am I right? I wondered if he'd hurt me or cause trouble if I ran up to him, but he didn't do anything at all.


So far in this level Yakko had to push a crate over. Now Wakko has to hit the fuse of this bomb with a hammer. Somehow this lights the fuse and blows up that wall so we can move on.


The final challenge of the level has Dot blowing a kiss to that dog whose name I don't remember. For some reason this causes Rita the cat to jump out and the dog chases her and clears the way.

That is the whole level. Seriously, if you taped all the screens I grabbed together, that's about the size of the level. 11 and a half minutes, Tork?


There was more retarded plot before this next level I went into, but it was all dumb so I just stuck with the title card.

This level was very unfun. We're riding a rocket here. Ho-hum.


This is the part where I got stuck. None of the Warners can jump very far or very high. This was kind of a dead end. Maybe I should have had Dot blow a kiss to that pidgeon? I don't know. I didn't think of that while I was still playing. Instead I jumped off the cliff a bunch of times.



Good riddance!

I think this game suffered from the same problem that the SNES version did, and really the vast majority of licenced games. It could have been great if the people who made it had really cared and had put some effort into it. Instead they just rushed it out counting on the fans of the show to buy it regardless of quality. It's a shameless cash grab and really pretty sad.

At least the makers of this game tried to make it look nice. It doesn't make up for the gameplay, but the graphics are pretty and do capture the look of the show. That's about all I can say for this game. Too bad. The show was a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Tork said...

I picked this game because I thought it would be fun with the puzzles and the good graphics. I wish you hadn't picked the second level because I remember it being the hardest of the first three to pick from. You're right about it being frustrating at times.

You were right about the solution to the pigeon puzzle. You have to blow a kiss at it.

Anonymous said...

I used to love this game when I was a kid. I recently re-played it, and I really don't think it's bad at all, though it isn't as good as it was then. What amazes me is that I used to be able to breeze through this game back then, but now I get stuck quite often. It's never insanely hard, but it can cause frustrations. There's also way more box-pushing then I remember.

One thing that really annoys me is that some area's are completely pointless. For example, there's one hallway where you see Hello Nurse walking around, and if she gets close you have to switch to Dot because Yakko and Wakko become immobilized. When you walk past her and get to the end of the hallway, you run into Dr. Scratchnsniff and he starts taking away your stars. That is the only thing in that hallway, a lady that immobilizes two characters and a guy that steals your stars? What's the point? (FYI, it's actually just a couple rooms after where you gave up)

I disagree about the writing though. It's not great by any means, but you can tell they tried to capture the show's humor. And I think they succeeded at that.

I haven't noticed any graphical oddities though. I don't know what's up with that 11th screenshot, but I've sure as heck never had anything like that.