Friday, August 22, 2008

Video Game #21: Zany Golf

Tork gave me a choice this time. He said I could either play a flight sim (SNORE) or a golf game. Huh. Zany Golf.

It better be pretty damn zany.



Can you feel the zaniness already? Look at those colors! Look at that font! Will Harvey is busting out and hanging loose and it is ZANY!


When I saw this I thought, ok, this looks kind of like Mini Putt. It could be ok.

Well, yes and no.

The control scheme is similar to Mini-Putt in that you click on the ball and drag away from where you want it to go to achieve a slingshot effect. It doesn't work half as well with a controller as it does with a mouse, but it's ok. I don't know how they could have made it better for a console.

The thing is, with Mini-Putt you can see the whole green in one screen. With this thing the hole you're playing doesn't come close to fitting the screen, so you have to scroll around a lot to figure out where you're going. This makes it really hard to line up shots!

It took a shot or two to figure out where I was supposed to shoot the ball. Turns out you can't just swat it over the edge there. You have to go up this ramp thingie and it'll come out either the barn on the left or the windmill on the right depending on how you did.

There's the hole. My ball is in it.

Sorry about the crapulence of these screengrabs. I defy you to get interesting screengrabs of this game.

Um... Ok?

My ball is kind of hidden behind the hamburger. Where is the hole?

Oh. There it is. You have to tap the A button to levitate the burger and then without stopping levitating the burger you have to hold down the A button to shoot the ball. This is good design here, folks. Couldn't they make the "bounce the burger" button be one of the two unused buttons right next to A?

Yay.

This is the next hole. There were some walls it wanted me to bounce off of or something... looks like I'm out of strokes...


Just because I ran out of strokes? You can't just add a penalty stroke to my score? This is Asshole Mini Golf.


There's my scorecard. They don't even give you 18 holes. If this were a real mini golf course I wouldn't visit it with its crappy rules and lack of holes.

I don't know if my experience with Mini Putt made Zany Golf better or worse for me. I'll tell you one thing: Mini Putt is by far the superior mini golf game. Of course, it has the advantage of having come out way later and of being web based. Still, that's my verdict. You guys will have to find a way to live with it.

2 comments:

Tork said...

I wasn't aware that you've played Mini-Putt before. We've got to play that online sometime.

This game was one of the ones that Sega tried to lockout with a chip. We had to get a GAme Genie to get it to work. Also, we had to use the Game Genie to give us enough strokes to get through the game. The stroke limit is ridiculous. The game is otherwise kind of fun.

Lita said...

If you spend any amount of time trying to keep teenagers on task in a computer lab, you know about Mini Putt.