Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Video Game #4: Keystone

Blurgh!!! Hi, guys! It might look like I'm a day late, but actually I played this game, screenshotted this game, and had things to say about this game yesterday. It was Blogger that refused to upload the pics until today. I'm sure you'll see why in a moment. This game was really controversial in its day. It's called Keystone and it's on the Atari.

You play as this blue guy in the bowler hat at the bottom of the screen. He's a Keystone Cop, I guess. The goal is to fight crime where you find it and save the city from the grip of evil.



The criminal in question is this guy. How can you tell he's a criminal? For one thing, he's running away. Anybody who runs from a cop has to be guilty of something. Also, he's very considerate as criminals go and is wearing the required "I'm a criminal! Arrest me!" uniform of black and white horizontal stripes. Don't worry, criminal! I will arrest you!

Like Like's eat Keystone's shield. (Dear wurwolf: Don't pay attention to this joke. It is a nerd joke.)


Ha ha!!! Caught you, you puppy-raping son of a bitch!

Keystone is an ok cop. It's not too hard to get him to catch his man. Actually his greatest enemy in the whole game is the escalator. He can go up it with no problem, but when it's time to go back down again he is gripped with a horrible primal fear the likes of which have not been known since man had to battle the saber-toothed tiger. The most I could get him to do was poop on the top step.

Overall I'd say this game is pretty good for an Atari game. The five minutes Tork gave me was really three too many, since I caught the criminal in two, and by then had seen all the game had to show me. It wasn't bad, though. If you're determined to play an Atari game, you could do worse than this.

4 comments:

wurwolf said...

At first I thought this game was about Pennsylvania, also known as the Keystone State. Why it's known as the Keystone State I have no idea, since Pennsylvania is a commonwealth (along with Virginia, Massachussetts and Kentucky). But there you have it. My great commonwealth at work.

Thank you for warning me about the nerd joke, Lita, but I think I might actually get it. You're making a Legend of Zelda joke, right? Where the blobby things eat shields in Level 6 on up? I don't know what those blobby things are called, but I'm simultaneously proud and nauseated that I get your nerd joke (if in fact I am right about it).

Lita said...

You are absolutely right, wurwolf. The blobby jelly things in Zelda that eat your shield are called Like Likes.

Tork said...

Like Likes are evil.

I gave you this game because I thought you would like a game where you play as a police officer. This is one of the reasons why Activision was so great during this time.

Your next game is about veggie tales, but without the religion. I give you Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, and you have ten minutes or less to beat the first level.

The Mickey said...

I loved this game back in the day.


Yep...that's what it was like before Nintendo