Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Video Game #5: Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom

I am familiar with this game already. In fact, I didn't need to download Tork's copy of it to do this playthrough because I already had it in my ROM folder. I never actually played it much before, though. Most of the knowledge I have of it comes from this excellent LP that you should read. Check it out and see a fairly detailed (and also really funny) recap of one of the most bizarre games in Nintendo's early history.

Anyway, the game in question is this one:



This is an old-fashioned adventure game where you walk around and talk to people and use specific commands on the edge of the screen to solve puzzles and advance the plot. Tork is giving me 10 minutes to beat the first level. So let's wander a round a little and see what we can find...

AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!! KILL IT!!!!

Hmph. I'm not allowed. Dumb game. It actually wants me to give this thing some water. I wander around until I find some water and then come back here and give it to him. He tells me his name is Percy and insists on becoming my assistant for the rest of the game. Great.

The first major goal of the game is to get into the city, but this douchebag won't let us. Percy natters on a while about how there's some garden nearby where vegetables aren't allowed (huh?) and his friends are in there and one of them has a pass so we should rescue them.

Fine.

It's not hard to find the garden in question. In order to get in you have to find the prince of the realm lying around under a bush by the fence and give him some water. He tells you about a secret passage and in you go.

GAAH!!!

Percy has freaky friends. They give me a gate pass in return for more water. This game is easy!

...Until the guard won't let me into the city because the pass doesn't look like me. Jerk. I didn't get a picture of that. I also didn't get a picture of me running Percy through my Jack LaLanne Power Juicer.

Nearly out of time I wandered around a little while looking for new stuff. There wasn't any... until I wandered back by the gate again.

Huh. It's naptime in Saladoria. In I go! That's Level 1! Tork's challenge is beaten!


BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!11!!1!

2 comments:

Tork said...

There used to be a magazine called Video Game & Computer Entertainment. My family got a big laugh out of reading the review of this game because it included the silly backstory. We eventually got the game from Blockbuster for 8 bucks.

Ok, you knew this was coming and were probably dreading the day, but let's do ten minutes of Sonic The Hedgehog. Try to reach the end of zone 1-3 and beat Dr. Robotnik. Remember, this was Sonic long before he became a joke.

Tork said...

Oh, and Lita's right. That is a great LP. He sure smacked the heck out of Percy.