Friday, December 14, 2007

A couple Christmas songs that drive me crazy.

I hate blogs where people spend all their posts complaining. Sometimes you'll stumble across a blog where the post that draws you in is ok, but then you take a look at the rest of the entries and hightail it out of there. I'm just not interested in daily negativeness. (Huh, negativeness is a word. How about that?) Nobody needs to read, "I'm still a pathetic loser with no girlfriend and my job doesn't pay much!!" The worst, but most common example is when people combine this with politics. "ONCE AGAIN I HAVE TO REMIND PEOPLE WHO LISTEN TO ME THAT I HAAAAAAAAAATE SENATOR KITTENKICKER!!!!!!!!!!!"

Of course, I'm sure I've had a few posts in the past where I complained about things. So let me be a little negative today. You know those radio stations that play Christmas songs all day since sometime before Christmas until January? I could complain about that, and I probably have. Well, there's one song that makes me cringe.

That song is Christmas Shoes. I'm not sure what's the part I hate about it the most. Is it the fact that it's one of the most cloying, manipulative songs about Christmas? I mean, the kid says "mama." How many kids say that? Is it the weird fact that there's a time element to it? The song acts like if the kid doesn't get the shoes to his mom in 55 minutes, she'll explode or something. (How's that premise for a Michael Bay movie?) Also, if she's so sick that she could go at any moment, I doubt she could even see the shoes. And why do they have to drag Jesus into the song?

How about the fact that despite all this, the singer takes home the message that God sent this kid to him to stop being grumpy? Yeah, God is slowly killing this kids mom FOR YOU! IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU!

If I had to put my money on what annoys me most about this song, it's probably the angelic choir at the end that repeats the refrain. It's like the song wants to believe itself to be an instant classic and is patting itself on the back.

I'm not saying that anything that happens in the song is wrong. I'd hate to see a loved one in that kind of situation and I would want to do anything to make them better, but this song just rubs me the wrong way.


And since I'm here, let me mention a remake that isn't equal to the original. Madonna, your version of Santa, Baby sucks because A) You're 60 years old, and B) You're voice is too babyish.

1 comment:

wurwolf said...

Torrk, I hate that song too. It's horrid. Stupid kid!

The first time Onil and the kids heard that song they just about died laughing.