Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Fifth Day of Christmas...



Today's gift comes from that magical year of 1988. This is an alphabet robot, and it was the closest thing I had to Transformers.

I only got a couple, if less. I found the letter M in my stocking and quickly figured out how it worked. I should add a picture of me showing it off to my dad sometime in the future.

These robot toys were one of two toys that were letters that could turn into other things. While these toys turn into robots, there was a similar line of toys that turned into an object that started with that letter. For S, there was a swan who's beak and feet you could pull out. There was a xylophone that required you to fold the X outward. I think I liked those better at first, but the robots eventually won me over.

We got most of these toys at Delaware. These letters and robot letters would come in a pack of three and you would just have to hope the pack had what you needed. Sadly we never could complete either collection. I wish we could have had this pack back in the late 80s.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tork,
I am desperate for these robots for my 2 preschool ages sons. Do you have any idea where I can buy a set?
mom in ohio

Tork said...

Unfortunately, I can't find a set. Not even on ebay.

The good news is that I found a webpage that sells four of the robots for about 2-3 bucks each.

http://www.toyarchive.com/STAForSale/NEW2001+/RandomRobots/FSRandomRobots.html

That page has C, H, N, and O.


It also says that Mattel made those robots, so if "Alphabet Robots" doesn't work well in a search engine maybe "Mattel Alphabet Robots" will.

Just be careful not to buy the wrong alphabet robots. I saw an Australian toy that was much different and I have no idea what the exchange rate is with that country. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I just bought a bunch of these at a yard sale. I am missing 2 letters only. I was going to throw them out since the set wasn't complete but after reading this I think I'll list them for the heck of it. Thanks for the info!

the-hm said...

I have 'A' 'B' and 'C'...
But all the ones posted are different from mine. xD

I've had mine since I was a kid.
They came from Masudaya apperantly.
But, I want to get some more, since they're pretty cool.

Example of them being different, my letter C has white trim, not red.

Anonymous said...

from what I understand, there are various knock-off's of these.... all of them quite hard to find with little info! However, they are amazing.