Monday, December 24, 2007

The Twenty-Fourth Day of Christmas...



I was looking forward to this day. When I started this thing I thought that if I ever got into trouble, I could list gifts that I've gotten most recently. Of course, it was best to save those towards the end of the month. Now here we are! Today's gift is a book that Lita sent me in 2002 after I got her a tshirt that 8-Bit Theater once sold. She sent me this book and its sequel because she recommended the series to me but I was having problems finding the first entry.

The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic are the first two entries in the Discworld series. This is a creation by author Terry Pratchett and he's written over thirty books. The Discworld is a flat world that lays on top of four elephants who all stand on top of a giant turtle that drifts through space. The first couple books were more spoofs of the fantasy genre that (I think) had become really popular in the eighties. Over several novels the Discworld changed into more of a satire of more modern setting, although still in a vaguely medieval setting.

The first two books are about a wizzard named Rincewind. The spelling of wizzard is intentional because he's lousy at everything except languages and running away. In the first book he's hired by the leader of the largest country on the Discworld to lead a tourist around. The tourist, Twoflower, is so rich that immediately a new industry is born and we follow the two through four seperate adventures. Twoflower also has a magic Luggage box which acts as a deus ex machina whenever needed.

I'd go into detail but I should really save that for another day. I intended to do the Discworld series for my Tork's Book Club feature which I rarely do. Hopefully one day I will.

Anyway, this is a great series and it's interesting to see the early books before fourth novel, where the series really took off. Also, I just read that there will be a mini-series next year that will combine the first two books. Neat! Can't wait until it reaches here on DVD.

No comments: