Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Sixth Day of Christmas...




Today's gift is not the one shown in the picture. That piano is like a piano we had, which we used to play Christmas Carols with. (We had a book that mapped keys to numbers.) The piano we got for Christmas was much bigger and cost about 100 dollars, I believe. We got it in the early nineties.

The piano we got was full size, which I believe is about 88 keys. It came with 100 programmed sounds and several background rhythms. It came with a bar in the back so you could have your music sheets in front of you, but my sister and I were never musical enough to get beyond typing in songs based on numbers in a book.

Unlike the above piano, which only had four different sounds, this piano had a ton to choose from. Since I wasn't so musically gifted, I mostly stuck to the sound effects section in the 80s/90s. There was a computer selection (88?) that was impossible to play a song with but it sure did sound computery. Right now the only other one I can remember is droplets.

The one sound I can remember thanks to adolecents is the violin, which was about 23. My sister and I learned that on the lower keys, violin sounded like a fart. This quickly became a running gag and we would even sit on those lower keys. Oh, to be young!

I never payed attention to the background rhythms, but there was one that I always imagined as the sneak-around sound. It would be the perfect sound for a cartoon character on the tip of their toes trying to sneak around without being seen. The Demo song was Together Forever.

Too bad I can't find this piano right now. If I do, I'll have to ammend this entry and add a picture.

No comments: